Poor Dan

I know he’s ready to go out because he’s chasing the Guineas out of his pen very exuberantly, bouncing on the spot and I’ve seen him eyeing up the fences for an escape attempt. So I agree, he probably won’t appreciate being put back after 15 minutes, so I doubt be able to catch the little sucker 🤣 I may try hand grazing him but that will require me being able to hang on to him 🤣🤣 he may be little but he has super powers when he sees a chance for escape!

Some of my best mud and grass skiing has been courtesy of small ponies! 🤣 it’s going to have to be done though, there’s been many a time when it’s taken me a week to catch him when I’ve offended him in some way, so darent risk it.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
@Jessey if he was mine I'd also feel that I wasn't taking any chances - yes the chicken food may have tipped him over the edge, but how close to the edge was he to begin with? I was quite shocked today to see how much grass has grown on an area the boys can't quite get to, I don't expect significant grass growth on a poor paddock in December/January!

@Jessey if he was mine I'd also feel that I wasn't taking any chances - yes the chicken food may have tipped him over the edge, but how close to the edge was he to begin with? I was quite shocked today to see how much grass has grown on an area the boys can't quite get to, I don't expect significant grass growth on a poor paddock in December/January!
I was looking at a report today, in the middle of the uk in December there was the same amount of grass growth as there was in April 21! April was pretty poor for April but holy heck!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I think it’s safe to say Dan was more than ready for his 10 minutes of freedom!
74E45F51-8AC1-41D8-9A4B-CCB750872F0C.jpeg
After possibly the longest roll on record, he was happy to stretch his legs
And he let me catch him! I took him out before feeding (no hint of a skiing lesson) and the muzzle he has on is the more challenging dinky one, which he doesn’t yet know how to eat with, cunning plan! As soon as he saw me with a hay net he came over to me 😁

I think Dan is ready to move out of his pen, but I am still none the wiser here to put him.

Jess' area is grass free, but she has to be fed haylage and he will steal it and they don't move much. Niko and Hank are on hay but also have access to a half acre, now very rough/grazed down, paddock but at least they charge about like fools for half the day.

I'm inclined to put him with the boys, I am currently having to feed Hank more than I feed Jess to keep weight on him and he's still on the slim side! but putting Dan on grass, no matter how poor, scares the pants off me currently 😬
the joys of juggling everyone's needs. I have just done my weekly measuring, some good, some not as good as hoped for

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Putting Dan out with the boys today didn’t go as well as I’d hoped.

I’ve been putting Dan next door to them in the hopes it would take the excitement out of it. I put him with Hank first this morning, completely couldn’t give a stuff, hello and eat.

Put Niko in and It started with low level boisterous as expected, biting, gentle chasing, rearing and warning kicks from Dan. I felt bad that muzzled Dan couldn’t really nip back.

But after half an hour or so it escalated into Niko really chasing Dan, Dan flat out galloping on to get away, Hank joining in and then Jess charging up and down the track trying to land blows over the fence on Niko and Hank. The little boys went one way, Niko the other and when he realised he tried to turn and lost all 4 legs. Then went after the little boys down the track to the barn. A bottle neck. I couldn’t bear it anymore and went and caught Dan. His little feet don’t need to be forced to be galloping, especially on frozen solid ground.
I did then take Dan back up the field and made everyone hang out quietly for half an hour before putting Dan back in his pen.
I guess I’ll try again tomorrow 😏

Putting Dan out with the boys today didn’t go as well as I’d hoped.

I’ve been putting Dan next door to them in the hopes it would take the excitement out of it. I put him with Hank first this morning, completely couldn’t give a stuff, hello and eat.

Put Niko in and It started with low level boisterous as expected, biting, gentle chasing, rearing and warning kicks from Dan. I felt bad that muzzled Dan couldn’t really nip back.

But after half an hour or so it escalated into Niko really chasing Dan, Dan flat out galloping on to get away, Hank joining in and then Jess charging up and down the track trying to land blows over the fence on Niko and Hank. The little boys went one way, Niko the other and when he realised he tried to turn and lost all 4 legs. Then went after the little boys down the track to the barn. A bottle neck. I couldn’t bear it anymore and went and caught Dan. His little feet don’t need to be forced to be galloping, especially on frozen solid ground.
I did then take Dan back up the field and made everyone hang out quietly for half an hour before putting Dan back in his pen.
I guess I’ll try again tomorrow 😏
Oh what a carry on. Poor lad, quite times required.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com