Poor Dan

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I hadn't really seen the horses in a few days (someone else was doing them) so not exactly sure when it started but Saturday afternoon I found Dan to be very sore, no lumps, bumps, cuts, heat, pulses or anything else but he looks sore all over, he was pottery and slow, more so than normal for him. Of course first panic was lami but I really don't think it is. Regardless I set up a little pen around the small shelter and put him in with a little hay and gave him some bute, and he promptly tried to escape so not feeling entirely bad!

I'm thinking it could be 2 things, a) Jess nailed him or b) he's had a squitty bum from the haylage and it's all down his back legs and rather caked on as the weather hasn't really been good for washing, so perhaps its pulling uncomfortably (he is like a yak), but he looked a little lame in front and behind so I'm leaning towards Jess having knocked him over, though she's been pretty chilled the last couple of weeks. He seems bright enough in himself, just very uncomfortable.

So NR vibes required, hopefully a few days of rest will have him feeling better.

O dear. Isnt that what we all think? That a few days of rest will have use feellng better? Hope it works for him. But being a yak in this weather is good, isnt it?

O dear. Isnt that what we all think? That a few days of rest will have use feellng better? Hope it works for him. But being a yak in this weather is good, isnt it?
Being a yak is good, unless you have the squits and clods of poo are hanging in the hair and connecting your legs together uncomfortably.

Oh heck poor boy.
Mix a little bit of that naff hay in with the haylage. That might slow the consumption down.
I have got rid of the bales, but had a couple of armfuls left so stuffed him a big net of that, and a small, tiny holed, net of the good small bale stuff. He's scoffing it down but at least being off the haylage should settle his tummy and I can ration him when he's separated.

Fingers crossed for him, and hopefully a few days rest will help.

For now could you get him something like Protexin Quick Fix and a couple of bales of high fibre haylage if hay is hard to get?

Poor chap. Can you cut/clip/trim the hairy yucky bits for now? Also another vote for protexin quick fix. I have 2/3 of a tube (a tube lasts 6 days) if you want it.

Reactions: carthorse
Fingers crossed for him, and hopefully a few days rest will help.

For now could you get him something like Protexin Quick Fix and a couple of bales of high fibre haylage if hay is hard to get?
He had a few days of quick fix already, and a few days of the powdered version too, but I ran out and need to get more.
I can get high fiber haylage, that is what they have been on (it upset Jess tummy as well when they sent the rye one but her tummy is back to normal since getting the meadow one, Dan's just didn't improve). I think he needs to be on hay to dry everything out for a few days at least.

Thanks, he seems bright and much more comfortable, he's been having 1/2 a bute at night but doesn't look worse right before I give it so may knock it on the head now. His tummy is much happier now he's back on hay too.

I'm going to keep with the current regime until Saturday, when I can reassess him properly in daylight and if he looks better I am going to switch him and Hank over so he is on hay with Niko, and either muzzled on the grass or I will just shut Niko on the grass on his own in the day.

Thanks, he seems bright and much more comfortable, he's been having 1/2 a bute at night but doesn't look worse right before I give it so may knock it on the head now. His tummy is much happier now he's back on hay too.
I read 1/2 a bute and thought that won't be enough!! Then I realised Dan is Tiny!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com