Poor young horse

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
We have had a 14.2 chunky pony ( think highland/dales type build) on trial for a week and have done some looking into his past.

He seems a really laid back but cooperative and forward going person, reason that he is on offer to us is apparently he doesn't hack. Observations after a week, he is really kind and likes to be played with on the ground, coped with PC members hugging him! Petrified of cars even when stationary. Tries really hard on the flat even though green and pops a small jump. Been ridden by some of our teenagers with no problems.

But we have discovered he has had five owners and is only just five now. He is not totally sound, we have had farrier sort out feet which has helped and need osteo as he looks unlevel in his hips.We have discovered owner three advertised him for sale as broken at 2 1/2 and last owner part exchanged him for a shire type as she needed a weight carrier.

He is going to stay with us for ever, whatever, all we need to decide is how much to pay. We have a figure in mind just hope the dealer doesn't think we are being rude!

How sad. But wonderful he is now in your capable hands :) people ought to think very carefully before taking on a youngster.

Reactions: Trewsers
Sad but not uncommon. I got told on my yard to back mine because she was "solid enough so would be fine" No her bones won't be they are still growing/fusing.

Racers are backed at 18 months for the two year old race. If you haven't seen a 18month old horse before, its a baby. If you compare a raced horse at 5 with a non raced horse at 5, the latter is huge as its been able to grow and develop.

Cobs are ridden at two, I don't need to mention a website for evidence of this.

Reactions: Gimp
Saintly man, scared of cars and very green but willing , cleared by farrier and osteo who also thought he had teeth issues so toothman coming! Going to make offer tomorrow but I suspect he will stay as dealer cannot otherwise sell a horse that doesn't hack out...update made offer ( 50% of asking price to reflect what he can do) only to discover pony is property of another dealer... no response to offer and getting a bit ?????

Most dealers swap and exchange stock around but generally they are able to make a deal, we are not talking megabucks here but I would have thought a pony that doesn't hack out at all and has had little schooling and was lame on collection would not be easy to place so they would be taking my 'cash now no vetting' offer seriously. Hopes this worksout.

Reactions: Trewsers and Gimp
With his new friend Cinderella

10511081_10101222958485188_480339689070843105_n.jpg

newrider.com