Post warning

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Just been to village po to despatch all of my gear I sold on ebay. I have LOST money on nearly all of it - due to the rates changing today. Apparently things aren't based on weight any longer - so just make sure you all have enough in if you are selling on ebay! OH is most cross...

Crikey, I have just been online to see the cost of sending stuff from the UK to Ireland for when I win something on ebay. Fklippin 'eck I would be better off buying new over here in some instances! Oh well that should help cure my recently acquired ebay addiction.:eek:

Well according to our Po lady - its not weight but packet size, so for instance - a pair of jodhs unless folded REALLY small will cost you as much to send as a heavier parcel containing say a pair of stirrup irons!!!
So fed up - cos I listed 22 items - sold 20 over the weekend but have lost money on all of them. I put in £3.99 postage for a saddle pad when in fact 2nd class it cost me £7 to send!! I also sold a baseball hat for 99p (boo hiss) and had postage in for £1.50 - but it cost me £2.60 in postage!!!!

Didn't make sense to me either! I thought I'd be more than covered on most items - couldn't quite believe it when she totted it all up - I spent £41!!! I am thinking next time I will use Hermes and their drop off facility. Apparently I can take stuff down the local spar shop all labelled up and just leave it there. Their rates are half the price of the post office.

Apparently I can take stuff down the local spar shop all labelled up and just leave it there. Their rates are half the price of the post office.

My mum, who has taken up ebaying as a retirement hobby has been using these guys and for horse stuff, which is generally fairly big stuff it seems quite reasonable in comparison to the post office.. I sent off a tub of supplement to someone with them and i haven't heard anything so can only presume it arrived ok... My Hermes used to get some bad press about poor delivery but they seem to have picked themselves up a bit, our delivery guy often appears in the evening and otherwise you get a text..

some people hate myhermes but i have been using them for ages for everything that would be more expensive via royal mail....on the whole i have not had any problems but we did have an issue with one delivery last week but as my mum is an area manager for the company she managed to track it down in the birmingham depot and got it all sorted...its very handy having someone on the 'inside' lol!

Oh really, thanks for the warning.

It has been weight and pack size for a while, so what part is different.

The post office were really annoying with me last week.

I wanted to return a bridle I bought as it didn't fit so I wrapped it back up and took it to the PO... apparently it was too long to be sent via royal mail (so although lightweight and slim it was too big, I got asked if I could fold it and I said no, because it is leather and I'm returning it - I don't want it damaged) so they said it would have to be sent via ParcelForce for nearly £12. Phoned the company up (equestrian clearance) and they organised for it to be picked up for £7.50 and just took the money off my refund.

Then I had a heavyweight turnout rug that I had put up on eBay, I had boxed it up and that was 1cm too big to be sent royal mail so again had to go by parcel force but despite being much larger and heavier cost the same as the bridle to send (I had put £10 for p&p so lost a couple of £ but the rug sold for a good price so I'm not too fussed).

I don't know what they think they are doing tbh - it is really putting me off sending stuff via royal mail now

Last edited:
OOh shock horror!
I've just listed a load of jods, books and maps on eBay over the holiday weekend. I'm bound to be under for all of them as I never like putting too much on for P&P

How ridiculous!

I have just bought something slaps wrist gently, :wink:
I sent a message to the seller to fold and sit on it to make it as small as possible. Think they have decent postage on though already,

Oh really, thanks for the warning.

It has been weight and pack size for a while, so what part is different.

It's not the weight any longer - (apart from over a certain weight if you know what I mean) but size of parcel, apparently they've decided that a larger lighter parcel should be more expensive because it takes just as much handling as a small light one........?! I'm not using them again if I can help it - only for my letters.

Sorry to hear that Mrs T and thanks for the warning.. I'm about to go in my garage and sort through some odds and sods to ebay.

I found this.

Key prices Letter and Large Letter prices

1st Class stamp prices for Letters*remain unchanged*at 60p 1st Class stamp prices for Large Letters (up to 100g)*remain unchanged*at 90p 2nd Class stamp prices for Letters remain unchanged*at 50p 2nd Class stamp prices for Large Letters (up to 100g)*remain unchanged*at 69p

Royal Mail Signed For™ Letters and Large Letters prices
Royal Mail Signed For™ 1st Class Letters (up to 100g) will be £1.70 Royal Mail Signed For™ 1st Class Large Letters (up to 100g) will be £2.00 Royal Mail Signed For™ 2nd Class Letters (up to 100g) will be £1.60 Royal Mail Signed For™ 2nd Class Large Letters (up to 100g) will be £1.79

Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed™
Our Guaranteed by 1pm service offers great value features, generous compensation and market-leading quality of service. Prices start from £6.22.

Changes to our parcel services
1st Class and 2nd Class parcel prices
1st Class Small Parcels prices start from £3.00 2nd Class Small Parcels prices start from £2.60 1st Class Medium Parcels prices start from £5.65 2nd Class Medium Parcels prices start from £5.20

Royal Mail Signed For™ parcel prices
1st Class Small Parcels prices start from £4.10 2nd Class Small Parcels prices start form £3.70 1st Class Medium Parcels prices start from £6.75 2nd Class Medium Parcels prices start from £6.30

International prices Postcards to anywhere in the world will cost 88p Airmail letters weighing up to 40g will cost £1.28 to Europe Airmail letters weighing up to 40g will cost £1.88 to rest of the world – Zones 1 & 2 International Signed For costs £5.30 per item (in addition to postage)
Royal Mail Specific Terms For Parcels April 2013
View our price guides Our prices 2013 Our services 2013

Last edited:
I'm definitely using Hermes for my next batch. I've sold a gilet - for the grand total of £1.25 - well I cannot afford to use Royal Mail on that one!lol. I've only put £2.99 in for postage - and it is the same weight and size wrapped up as one of today's parcels which cost me £5.60!!!!!!

With eBay your meant to use tracked so that means signed for.
I have used dhl for a saddle that was loads cheaper than royal mail. Are they trying to put themselves out of business? With the volume of people on eBay and amazon you would think they need us to stay loyal.

This is why I don't sell on eBay anymore and instead sell horsey stuff on the Hertfordshire horse riders Facebook group, saves on postage costs and seller fees!
Might be a similar group for your area?

newrider.com