prelim 1, 2, 3, 4,5 , 6, 7, 8, ..etc... What does it mean?

beanz's mum

Kilmucklin Girl
Jan 18, 2006
Taunton.Somerset.
Okay so ive never ever done dressage, never watched it as i dont really have any interest in it to be honest...

but i want to do an ODEwith ginge so that means dressage. dumb question coming up.

what is prelim 1, 2 ,3 etc ?... whats the difference between them? :eek:

i googled and got nothing. :rolleyes:

sorry but yes i am blonde :eek:

thanks

BM x

The numbers are just the code names for different test patterns. You can buy full sets at British Dressage which I think includes the tests used for Eventing.

for prelim the current test numbers in use are

1 4 7 10 12 13 14 15 17 18 19

whilst the test patterns are all different the content is fairly similar

eg 20m circles in trot & canter
free walk
give & retake reins
serpentine

in theory the higher the number the harder the test but different horses will be more suited with some tests than others

the reason you won't find the tests on the net are because they are copy righted & so only available from british dressage or certain authorised sellers

Prelims are the used to be the entry level tests and are fairly basic. We now have Walk and trot tests, which are like prelims without the canter.

The prelims just involve basic movements in walk, trot and canter. No lengthening, collection, or extended paces. You will probably have to do a free walk on a long rein, change the rein across the diagonal and do a nice square halt and a salute on the centre line at the end.

The tests are designed to see if the horse has started his training.
correctly.

Its worth having a look at a few tests on youtube so you know what to expect

Generally ODEs have their own tests- ie either HT/BE tests rather than British dressage tests. But this all depends on the individual show!

Judges are looking for obedience, balance and rythym. Acceptance of the bit and the riders position and effectiveness/correctness of the aids.

The higher the number, the more the judges are looking for with regards to the above, and the movements become more complictated to show this.

With eventing, the better your dressage score, the better your placing; combine a good dressage score, with clear xc & sj and the more likely you are to be placed high.

If you look on the BE website at some results it will show you this.

All in all though go and enjoy yourself and fun!!!!!!! :)

the full tests dont include eventing tests bought the full test sheets and laminated 1ns better shows diagrams well worth the extra money and dont get dirty hand print on or wet threw

newrider.com