Preparing ale for fancy dress. The result!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Just for fun and for something to look forward to I have entered ale into a fancy dress competition at the stables next door.

I will be doing it in hand obviously and all it involves is a 10 min walk there, a walk around the ring and then walk back home so not too much for him.

He's not in any work and I don't want to just spring this on him mid August as I feel that's unfair and he will probably mis behave.

So I would like to do some prep in the weeks leading up to it. I have already stated walking part of the route in hand, asking him to stand and wait so he remembers his manners. I want to build up to walking the whole route and I'm also trying to show him as many things as possible before then.

He's had a very sheltered life for the last 6 months I don't want to blow his mind on the day. I thought about taking him into the school whilst people are riding to get him used to other horses moving around him again.

And obviously I will be getting him used to his costume before the day but he's really not that bothered about that anyway.

Any other tips? I'm really looking forward to it but I don't want to stress him out.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Sounds great! I'd probably do the same, ie, take him into the arena whilst folk are riding, it will not be such a surprise going to the show then. The more things you can do the better I guess! Love the idea of fancy dress. What will he go as?

Sounds great! I'd probably do the same, ie, take him into the arena whilst folk are riding, it will not be such a surprise going to the show then. The more things you can do the better I guess! Love the idea of fancy dress. What will he go as?

Thanks, thought I was mad but it is a good idea to get him prepared I think.

I'm dressing him as a picnic and I'm going as a bee :D

Sounds like a plan, I'd probably try flapping things around that aren't your costume, maybe a tarp or balloons, only because its not just him in costume but the other horses too which could be scary :)

Sounds like a plan, I'd probably try flapping things around that aren't your costume, maybe a tarp or balloons, only because its not just him in costume but the other horses too which could be scary :)

Great idea thank-you, I'll get my boyfriend to wave some things around and see how he goes

newrider.com