pressure on withers

Alex T

Jun 27, 2006
Poole
Hey , im currently saving for a new saddle and thought i had one that fitted ok:eek: to fitten my horse up with :eek:we spent all last year pretty much off work and although lunged got rather bored and fat and eventualy found a saddle which fitted better than any other i or saddler had put on her!(which was quite a few including the rocky one made for her)
however today after a schooling session in which she came back rather sweaty! there where two dry marks on either side of her withers:eek:
she has deffinatly changed shape in the last month as in the last week i feel im riding down hill . The dry patches obviously have something to do with this :rolleyes:
can some one help me get my head around if the saddle is to wide or narrow etc
thanks

If the saddle is too low at the front then it's too wide, the marks sound like the "elbows" of the points digging in fairly high up on the withers, if the tree was too narrow these marks (the end of the points instead of the elbows this time) would be further down the withers and you would feel like you are riding up hill.
If the saddle is a flocked system then that can also affect how level the saddle is.
Get a Saddler out to check it if you can, Oz :)

newrider.com