Price of rugs!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Sox could new with 2 new rugs. They seem to be on their last legs and his med often leaks in crap weather or downpours.
So I had a look at a few sites online. OMG:eek: the price of rugs!! £90 quid for a lightweight an £120 for a med!

I may have to make these rugs last a little longer.

Though I also wondered who would rather pay a lot of money for a decent rug or just buy cheap rugs?

We just buy ebay bargains for the herd of 20 RS horses as they often get wrecked. Private horses get matching unbranded rugs usually which after a couple of years are passed onto the herd.

There are a lot of decent cheap rugs around and a lot of branded lightly used ones ...shop around!!

Reactions: Wally
What brands are you looking at?
I personally would snap something up in the sales.

I just had a quick browse and found I could get something in a 6'3 for up to £90 for a medium.

Leaky rug is well worth getting cleaned and reproofed.

I buy cheap and cheerful, they do the job and saves washing as I just bin after a couple of winters. Ale is in with a rug ripper too so get wrecked that way also

I feel your pain!

Not sure how it equates, but here in Aus, canvas rugs range from $70 to $400!! I've never really been one to rug but now find myself needing to - so how is a newbie like me to know whether to buy a cheap one, a mid range one, or the insanely expensive one! People say the $400 last them for 10-20 years ...

I ended up purchasing some second hand as that was half the price. And bought budget ones - so all up I spent $170 on two cotton under rugs, a synthetic rainsheet and a canvas. The canvas doesn't have a brand, but its not an expensive one. I've found the rainsheet fits nicely and is waterproof (yay!), the canvas leaked through (going to try reproofing it) and the cottons are lovely quality but too big in the neck so they are slipping back behind her wither, ugh! Asked around and there is a brand that is quite small in the neck, so I'm off to buy one of those (brand new :( )

The things we do for these creatures!!

I've given up on cheap rugs, they just rub and leak. Jess got a new light and medium last year, I brought good ones in the sale, was still nearly £200 but I'm still using a similar rug 10 years on and its still a better rug than cheapies that are only a year or two old. Jess doesnt wreck rugs though, if she did I'd go for cheapies.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
That's the thing ale I always get my rugs that I used a lot throughout the year washed/ reproofed etc.

Sometimes reproofing just doesn't work sadly. What about layering your current rugs? Put a cheap new LW on top which would make them waterproof.

Lost of people on my yard do this as helps to prevent the expensive rug underneath getting damaged by a rug ripper too and also keeps it cleaner.

We have some serious rug rippers in Bens field. I haven't rugged Ben in about 2 years so it hasn't bothered me, but if I were to spend £200 on a rug and it got ripped to shreads I would not be happy!

I've bought a few second hand that have all been washed and reproofed as it means I can get a better brand cheaper. There's a equine laundry shop nearby which always has seconds hand rugs in. Axiom rugs on ebay are really good. Not cheap cheap but certainly not expensive for what they are, would recommend them.

Last time we bought rugs was about ten years ago, paid about £120 and they have been excellent. Only bother is, two of them madam outgrew:eek: she didn't really need them - gave them to a horse charity.
I am going to need two more for the move, so will be having a shop about. I've allocated about £100 each just hope I can find some at that price.

If rugged with a rug wrecker I would buy cheap.
As it is mine lives with headcollar removers, so muzzling is a no go.

If your rugs have done well, get the same again?

I was going to buy some summer sheets to keep the boys clean. After looking and being bamboozled as to what to get I've decided to save the pennies. Figure I will spend the money on some new winter ones. Billy has wrecked 3 rugs in the few months I've had him. One of which chunks had for 9 years.
I will have to buy cheap I can't afford to go through rugs at £120 a go for billy to trash.

I've got a mix of expensive and cheap rugs. I bought a cheapo heavyweight off eBay that I really, really like - probably made in a Chinese sweatshop but it's really good. And this has reminded me that I have some rugs I want to sell.

newrider.com