probably a silly question ?

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
I was just watching team fredrics a horse feature apparently gets slight fluid in it its legs so has stable bandages when it comes it at night I just wondered whether normally were better out and moving to disperse fluid normally ?

In human terms, I guess it's the same as middle aged ladies (usually) and their potential in getting varicose veins.
Those who spend their time on their feet but not moving about much (hair dresser, person at a standing till, etc) are not producing the pumping action that helps the lymphatic system drain properly (effective as from 7 steps or walking paces). These people are recommended to wear medical stickings/tights which compresses the veins and improves blood flow and hence drainage.

If horse has to be in all night, the stable bandages are the equivalent of the medical stockings.

Horses that are out are much less likely to have swelling problems but for many; keeping a horse out 24/7 does not fit in with particular lifestyles (especially if you don't have enough land to be able to do so, for example) :smile:

Mr Hero has this problem. I bandage every night to stop his legs swelling with build up of fluid. They do balloon quite alot -he has always been like this. If I left them off he would walk off the swelling after being turn out for a while in the morning but he looks stiff so bandaging is the lesser of two evils. Also if I want to ride in the morning after being stabled overnight I wouldn't expect him to go out and perform well schooling if he has fluidy legs.

For Hero living out is not an option over the winter due to his wimpy TB nature mixed with mud fever gallore! In the summer he has no problems at all with swelling as he does live out 24/7 so is constantly moving.

Charlie my OH's TB is the same to an extent and we bandage if we are riding the next morning but other wise walks it off with the next morning turn out.

I think Tbs and ex racers are particularly susceptible to this, don't know whether hard work when young damages the lymphatic system? I think high levels of protein in the diet play a part too though, mine often stock up when stabled in the summer when the grass is good. It's much less of an issue in the winter though, even when they're in overnight.

newrider.com