Problems with Trekker Treeless Saddle

Sharman&Apollo

Mar 12, 2009
Cornwall
Hi,

I have had a Trekker Treeless saddle for about 4 years, and use it with a simple fleece pad and a suber pad underneath.

When I first bought my arabx, I used it on him but after a couple of rides realised that it didn't suit him and got him a Wintec. The treeless was collapsing in the middle when i rode, and you could see the creases in the leather.

Now I have gone back to using it on my flat backed cob, it is doing the same thing :cry: Do you think I damaged the structure by using it on another horse, or is it a general problem that they lose their 'stiffness' after a few years.

I have put on about a stone in weight I suppose, but still not extremely heavy.

Does anyone know if anyone can repair treeless saddles, or is it a no hoper? :poop:

Because they dont have a tree, this is the risk with them and why they often have a weight limit.

Do you do enough work to make him sweat up? Thats the easiest way to tell if there are pressure distribution issues though I have to be honest and say I think there may be from what you are describing. Do you have any photos?

I will have a look for photos.

I am about 10 stones now, but I have ridden in it when I was 11 stones without any problems.

I'm a Sunday driver and so only go hacking, mostly walking - they are lucky if they get a little sweaty around the girth! :giggle:

Think the damned things had just got worn out and lost it's stiffness - the suber is more squashed in the middle as well.

Guess it gives me an excuse to go shopping for a nice saddle for Sharman though :inlove:

If the saddle is creasing in the middle, it's probably just taking the shape of the horses back. The older model talents have no rigid structure between pommel and cantle and you can bend then in half. Have you tried another pad? Maybe one with stiffer foam inserts so it holds the structure better?

A HAF pad or one of the cork filled Ergo/Suber pads can work well under the Trekker. Don't worry about any creases as these are very soft and flexible saddles.

newrider.com