QH v Criollo

chestnut-mare

Mar 29, 2005
Edinburgh
My head is in a spin - and OH is in despair! Since owning what I considered to be the best horse in the world I was convinced that I would never want any other breed than a quarter horse.

However...... I've just been reading nearly every thread listed about Criollos. I did notice a picture of KT's horse in the western forum in the pictures thread and had thought how lovely he looked but it never quite dawned on me that a Criollo was another american breed - not quite sure what I thought it was, maybe a colour or something :rolleyes:. Anyhow, since reading the threads I can't get the breed out of my head and am more than curious to go to the farm everyone has mentioned for a visit. Just wish it was much closer!

OH is not impressed with me as I was so desperate to have another QH that we finally found one just over a year ago and he has bonded really well with her. I on the other hand have not bonded with her much at all. Dont get me wrong she is beautiful but simply doesnt have the same temperament as my old horse so I guess I'm comparing all the time. Maybe moving onto a completely new breed will help me to finally move on and accept that not all QH's will be the same as my old mare.
I'm intrigued that no-one has had a bad word to say about the Criollo and if what everyone is saying about them is true then I can only see them becoming huge in this country. I'm not getting any younger and have no desires to go show jumping again but simply want to be able to enjoy a horse on the ground and to go for steady hacks. The Criollo sounds too good to be true but how nice would it be to have another non-spooky horse to ride anywhere again :D.

I do feel sorry for these horses though, they appear to have had a fairly rough sounding start in life - broken in harshly then a tough journey to Europe. I wonder how many dont make it? I wonder what happens to the ones that dont get chosen when they make it to europe? I'm just thinking out loud though as I dont know the true facts??

i love my QH and i have ridden many horses: morgans, TB, arabs, walkers, saddlebreds, warmbloods, welsh, appaloosa, paint and my favourite the quarterhorse i just go right back to the fact that i love the look of them but in your case i think you just need to look at both breeds and find the perfect horse.

I own both breeds - just bought a criollo and have a quaterhorse youngster - and can really understand your dilemma!! They are both great fun, down to earth horses and seem to represent their breed type well. The only thing I would point out with the Criollo is that they do tend to come with 'issues' that we (as only being used to English broken horses) don't concider. For example, they might not know how to lift their feet on command, not used to being in and are not that keen on being caught without feed etc. They do usually learn theses things quickly and they are a great ride - especially if all you want now is a safe ride but still have a horse under you (ie. not a plod but something to have fun with). Hope my rambling helps!!:)

I own both breeds - just bought a criollo and have a quaterhorse youngster - and can really understand your dilemma!! They are both great fun, down to earth horses and seem to represent their breed type well. The only thing I would point out with the Criollo is that they do tend to come with 'issues' that we (as only being used to English broken horses) don't concider. For example, they might not know how to lift their feet on command, not used to being in and are not that keen on being caught without feed etc. They do usually learn theses things quickly and they are a great ride - especially if all you want now is a safe ride but still have a horse under you (ie. not a plod but something to have fun with). Hope my rambling helps!!:)

You're right it is a huge dilemma! I don't like stabling so being kept in wouldn't be an issue and I have western tack (OH rides western) so could convert. I would find it sad that a horse wouldn't want to be caught but am sure lots of tlc would soon overcome that. & yes you hit the nail on the head, I want to have a horse under me and not a plod but at the same time I want to feel safe. My ideal horse would be as happy to be lead anywhere (with manners and respect) as it would be to be ridden. ;)

Well no problem there - took my criollo out first thing this morning, had a good long (fast) gallop but then had to lead her on a stony track for a mile or so (she has just gone barefoot) and she just followed like a dog despite never being along there before :D.

Good horse are found in all breeds and come in all colors.

Disrespectful horses are found in all breeds and come in all colors.

All horses are perfect as a horse.

Have fun, be safe

Jack

Hi chestnut mare
Its a shame you are so far from Criollo Farm, but if you contacted them they could proberly get in touch with criollo owners in scotland who maybe willing to let you have a look ect at theirs; as i would say they are difinately worth a look at. I think QH are lovely too! Good luck.

I went up to the farm being very sceptical about them and went away and couldn't stop thinking about them!! Three weeks later I bought one!!

I love Qh's and all the ones I have met have been lovely but there is something very special about Criollo's. They build up a bond with you almost instantly and have very good manners. I was hacking him out on his own in heavy traffic during the first week of owning and if there really was a problem in that you didn't get on with the horse, you have up to a year to swap for another one at any time,

Monique (the owner) is also on the end of the phone all the time and there is a Criollo club set up for all the owners which is great.

When I bought Maximo he wasn't very good at letting me pick up his feet but got the hang of that within a week or so. I also only caught him when I had some feed in my hand but again after a week or so there wasn't a problem and now comes to the gate to me.

I have had a few problems with Maximo's back but this may have happened from him slipping in the field or anything like that as I haven't heard of any other problems from any other owners and I have spoken to a lot now through the club. It also only happened just before Christmas as he was completly sound from when I got him up until that point.

Fee x

difficult dilemma for you- i have a quarterhorse and a criollo and have to say they're both wonderful when it comes to ridden stuff and in hand. my quarterhorse is 16 now and criollo is 4. would wholheartedly recommend a criollo though if you're looking for a strong partnership with a horse.

Ive met Archie and Maximo, and its true they are fantastic - plus so well matched with their owners, looking forward to meeting Magicsix and her Criollo mare!:D

congratulations greasedweasel - what a beauty Arrayan Numa is!!!

wow a stallion - i take it you bought him from Monique then?

I didnt know you were going to buy another - i must have missed that thread! How many did you try?

Are you going you breed him?

wow, lovely colour and i bet he's fab to ride! lucky you- owning 2 of these babes. you'll have to start a breeding programme for everyone on NR so we can all have criollos- anyone got a nice criollo mare they want to put in foal?? ;)

aww your stallion looks fab shame terro isn't a stallion his paces are to die for though he sure lieks to act like one sometimes XD

newrider.com