QOD Mon 17th Dec - favourite horsey event

So question for today is ... What's your favourite horsey event? Every year we go to Blair Castle Horse Trials for the weekend and I love it but I have to say my ultimate fav is Olympia. Ever since we went as kids and I saw Milton win the Grand Prix. It was just magical and I've never forgotten it. It started my obsession with grey horses that has never left me :))

I love them all!!!!

I went to HOYS a couple of years ago and it was fab, and I go to Blair and Hopetoun (although missed this year for both of them, can't remember why)

But I think it has to be the Royal Highland show, I know it's not solely horsey, but it's just such a great day out. Loved it since I was a kid, plus it's only down the road!

I like the rodeo if it includes the Budweiser Clydesdales coming in. They are just so grand.
For all other events I am just too wimpy. I always worry.
Calf-roping? I think of neck injuries and abrasions to the calves. Bronc- worry about the horses. Most horse sports - worry about the horses. lol

Hickstead because I love shopping as much as I do horses so it's always nice to wander round the stalls and buy a few bits then sit and watch the jumping having your lunch.

Always seems like a cheap day out too as we always use the free entry, pay parking vouchers! :redface:

I love olympia too but I haven't been for a few years now. I mostly went as a kid but have been with my OH, who was quite scathing about the finale when we were talking about it the other day, I pointed out the error of his ways... :giggle:

I like Your Horse Live :giggle:

Used to go to HOYS as a teenager when it was still at Wembley Arena (and I still lived in Greater London) - when it was still reasonably priced. Ironically I've now ended up not a million miles away from the NEC so *could* go again, but I refuse to pay those ticket prices!!! :stomp: Shame the BBC don't still televise it nightly like they used to as well... I really miss that.... I can't afford Sky (I have horses! :redcarded:)

If it doesn't get cancelled again next year, I'm deffo dragging Dom along to Badders.....

Badminton, i decided i could actually manage to jump two fences. So that just left a horse capable of the rest. Dream on. :redface:

Burghley is my favourite, just love walking the course and of course the shopping! Didn't go this year because of the Olympics but usually go every year.

Off to Olympia Wednesday, which I loved last time I went, also been to HOYs once.

To attend, its Olympia at christmas. Lovely atmosphere, really christmassy and usually a good time to bump into people I haven't seen for ages. Every time I go I see someone I know which is great. Even if you don't see someone you know I sense a great feeling of 'togetherness' with other potty horse lovers. Next the Hickstead Derby, I just love that bank.

Windsor is another fab one. I like it especially now it is in the Queens Garden.
I love the way 'the royals' wander round in the crowd. Great.

On TV I like Badminton Horse trials. I must go for real one year.

Locally we have an annual show. Its nothing special really but a great opportunity for catching up with everyone you haven't seen in ages.

I'm going to buck the trend to say I don't do any horsey events as I don't follow any horse sports.

I do like going to county shows though but more for the farm animals than anything else.

Living in the a**e end of nowhere, big events are limited! and with an inflexible job there is no chance of me getting to events like Olympia :( we do make an annual pilgrimage to Blair horse trials and have done since 1999. My sister and I also always try and go to the royal highland. Keep meaning to get to Burgie one year too.

BADMINTON!!!:cloud9::inlove: Always watched it on TV when I was younger and loved the first fence over the two mitsibushi cars. Went a couple of years in a row - 2009 & 2010 and camped the whole weekend and loved it - didn't have a horse back then.
I always go to Blair Atholl now as its just up the road, but it just doesn't compare.

Badminton too!!!

We go to cross Country day, take the dogs, shop for hours then walk the course. I really really hope this year mum will babysit for the day and that I will be well enough to go as I really missed it last year!!

We also go to Burghley on dressage day and Your Horse Live, but nothing beats the excitement of going to badminton!

Burghley, HOYS and Olympia are my real favourites. But I also love going to small local shows helping out and seeing everyday riders young and old having fun.

newrider.com