Rabbit fleas problem solved, but...

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
...not in a way I like. We now have myxomatosis on the island and it has spread to our area. There's hardly a rabbit to be seen. I've not seen many bodies, but I'm assuming the gulls, crows and ravens are clearing up. I've been told it doesn't harm cats and dogs if they eat an infected rabbit, but Mungo had the runs last time he came in with fleas on his ears, so I hope he doesn't find any more.

Now Mungo comes in smelling strongly of fish. We live next to a pier used by a variety of fishing vessels. I just hope he doesn't stow away on one of the boats or a transport lorry!

Golly, I will keep my eyes open for sleepy bunnies.

Has this been in the paper?

I don't know if it's been in the agricultural bits, as I tend to skip over them! Vet Colin (who does Yell) told Phil it was on Yell when we collected Mungo after his op a couple of weeks ago. It was in the south end then - reached us last week. Phil didn't think to ask whether it was just Yell so far.

I hate the horrid disease.

It's horrid, but the bunnies are so out of control something needs to thin them down a bit.

Son and .22 can only do so much.

Thin them out? More like wipe them out :frown: Have seen the disease first hand, poor young rabbit, probably 6 months old, running blindly along a canal path, eyes covered in lesions.. I took him to the vets (just picked up a completely wild rabbit) and they pts.. I honestly didn't want the poor thing to fall and drown in the canal - awful way to go.
It virtually decimated the entire population around where I lived, and they've never really recovered. BUT, if they do, they're resistant, and it won't claim them the second time..

They only thing I'd miss is the rabbit pie and not having to buy so much ammo.

newrider.com