Rac & ess member - very important

rtk

Aug 6, 2007
Equestrian Support - RAC - very important

Breakdown cover

If you are a member of the RAC and ESS be aware that there is some kind of problem with ESS.

The RAC are no longer offering all of the services and you could have no cover.

Check with the RAC before setting off.

It appears that if you ESS number begins with 306E then the RAC will continue to support you, if it doesn't they wont.

Not sure if ESS are still in business, I will check it out on Monday

Last edited:
did you find out any more about this? Are RAC still willing to come out to deal loaded trailers/boxes?

I have spoken to both the RAC and ESS. My membership number starts with 306E so I'm covered.

It does sound as though some people might have a problem though.

Just thought I would warn people to check before setting off, too late if you are broken down on the motorway.

Actually looking at this thread it sounds as though ESS are in trouble so no idea where everyone will stand, even if they go direct not just through RAC

http://horsegossip.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=10413

Last edited:
I can happily recommend KBIS as an alternative - always had excellent service when we've needed to use them. My policy is £125 pcy for a 7.5T box and that includes rescue of box if needed and a box to retrieve the horses plus accommodation/livery if needed.

Hate to tell you this Lgd but KBIS are just the insurers they use ESS to do the work. I think NFU might use them as well.

The mention of the parent company in administration sounds worrying.

Great news, I insure horses through KBIS anyway so now they can do my breakdown insurance :D

i am with ess and they have always been really helpful - what a shame.

are the rac saying they wont recover lorries at all or just that you have to pay at the roadside??

i dont want to take out a new policy yet as i still have 6 months on my ess one and there is always a chance of a takeover or similar but dont want to be left stranded!!

newrider.com