Racing/Safety Goggles

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Does anyone wear them when hacking in company? Now that the weather is turning the ground muddier, as Gracie always likes to follow when cantering and galloping, I've just purchased a pair of goggles to prevent damage to my eyes from mud and stone kickback. Got to be honest, I'm going to feel a bit pretentious on my little fat cob, but I'm thinking of safety. Does anyone else use them?

Can't say I have, or know anyone that has. Could you perhaps go for clear safety glasses so they are less obvious and race-y :p

Ha ha I used to use my snow board goggles when out for a blast on Oscar, he was a full on ex steeple chaser so we never really got any funny looks, however, who cares what anyone else thinks! If it stops you getting blinded why not? Cobs kick up more dirt at speed anyway, bigger feet as a rule so yeah go for it.

Reactions: domane and Trewsers
Haha didn’t even know they were a ‘thing’ although now you mention it they could come in very useful for hunting. Then again, I once had to wear my glasses for hunting instead of my lenses (in the run up to having my laser surgery) and the amount of time I spent wiping the mud off my glasses so I could see was very irritating. Maybe mini wipers is the answer ...

I came very close to a nasty incident just a few weeks ago when the horse I was behind did a rocket propelled liquid poo that nearly got me in the face. I would have been very grateful for goggles if that had hit target :p

Reactions: Jessey and domane
The protective glasses that polo players wear are good. They're more like glasses than goggles really, they look very cool actually!
My boss won't let her sons play polo without theirs on. She used to be more easygoing about it but cracked down after someone on their team was hit in the face by a mallet and his eyeball came out!

I dont but the girl who was riding chunky who's gone to train as a race jockey had a pair. Im glad you said cobs throw up more. I know that if I'm in front he kicks up loads and she got a face full. Cruelly the best gotcha one, was going across the top of the common I saw fresh cow poo by the time I saw it Billy was in it. Poor girl got all the kick back and was covered.

The speed you are going who is going see. :p

Seriously though yes I have, and who cares what something is designed for if it works.
I gave up caring a longtime ago and the person who comments about you using them will be the person who comments about your dirty face!
I am known to be protective of the cobs eyes as well. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
No, I just don't follow right behind, move over to the side slightly and you won't get the full force. I get caked on Lottie because she's that awkward height if she was bigger I'd miss it. Never found it a problem going in my eyes though. If you do and you're happy to wear them why not?

newrider.com