Rain Rot Remedies

Laya

Dec 7, 1999
Pennsville, NJ USA
I just acquired a horse with severe Raint Rot across his back and hindquarters... I used to work with a polo rider who's horses also had rain rot and he used a home made remedy (something dealing with bleach). I forget it though. Does anyone know a good solution for rain rot? Thanks!!

Tends to be called Rain Scald in the UK. I use Hibiscrub which is chlorhexidine in a soapy base. It's used in hospitals for hand cleansing and skin prep but is brilliant for rain scald. You would probably be able to buy it at your local pharmacy. Just wash the affected area with a handful of the liquid, remove the scabs (they usually soften pretty well with this stuff) and rinse with clean water. Treat on a daily basis until it is clean and dry. If that doesn't control it the next step up is Betadine surgical scrub (povidone iodine), use it the same way and agian it will be available from your pharmacist.

we use 'napisan' to scrub here - its antibacterial and doesn't sting as much as some things - don't know what the brand names would be there - but its a nappy soaker\detergent type powder that you add to water.

Once the bacteria have been killed off - zinc and castor oil ointment is excellent for protecting, soothing and healing the wound and will help protect from further problems (provided its dry). Aloe vera and manuka are also good at healing and are both anti-bacterial.

the most important thing is to make sure the area is dried off properly before applying anything rugs or creams that will trap moisture back in the area.

I used the Equine America Fungasol spray when Frank got a touch of rain-scald for the first time ever this spring. One application and it was gone.

I think it's also a good idea to cleanse rugs, numnahs and so on with something like Virkon-E, as the bacteria that cause rain-scald can hang around for a long time on horse-clothing.

newrider.com