Rain Scald

skye06

Levi in field
Feb 27, 2006
Eire
Well not really rain scald, well it is but anyway, My big showlumping mare who had her foal early this year is now weaned and coming on nicely in her fittening plan, however I clipped her and she has quite a bad case of rain scald/grease bumps but the question is whats the best way to clear this up? I know it is my fault as I did not groom her regularly enough when she was in foal. I have tried Vet shampoo and hibi scrub just wondering if anyone had any more suggestions???

If its scabby soften them and get them off. But otherwise keeping it clean is about all you can do. Maybe put on an anti septic spray. And wait. Which is annoying, but about all you can do

Just spray them over with the miracle spray - 2tbs sulphur in 1 quart mineral oil, rub it in as much as you like with fingertips, and leave alone for at least 3 days. One treatment, and it will be cured.

Kate
ps I want to try "showlumping" ... sounds like fun :D

hibiscrub is good as often as you can to soften it up. Then when it gets scabby it will come off as you are sponging the affected parts. Then i use good ole fashioned sudocream to keep it free from infection and offer a bit of protection. then once it starts healing well let the air get at it a bit and nature will do the rest.

Just spray them over with the miracle spray - 2tbs sulphur in 1 quart mineral oil, rub it in as much as you like with fingertips, and leave alone for at least 3 days. One treatment, and it will be cured.

Kate
ps I want to try "showlumping" ... sounds like fun :D

Have you never heard of showlumping??? It's a bit like show jumping but you aim to fall off, run over people and generally cause mayhem at every time out.

Tee hee ... that's something even I could aim for then :D Try the mineral oil and sulfur spray if you have a chance, it's quite amazing how effective it is.

where can i get sulphur from?? do chemists stock it?? And would any make of mineral oil do the job???

I have the same issue with Duchess every year now. If her coat is wet for any length of time she develops rain scald. This year I have her in a lightweight rug (she's not clipped) and feeding her a small amount and she is fine. Last year she was riddled with it when I took her off our farm to my livery. 4 weeks later we clipped her and her skin was like this...

shinyskin.jpg

which I attributed to the HiFi I was feeding with red mills equestrian mix. I think they get more susceptible to these things as they get older, she never had a problem like this when she was young.

newrider.com