Rainrot?

Iceblue

Jan 23, 2016
hi guys,

I haven't had my horse for that long, but I've noticed that he has quite a lot of small scabs, but this morning when I was changing his rigs to turn out he's now got bald spots :( anyone had this before?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    880.5 KB · Views: 11
Rain rot/scald is quite common, its similar to mud fever but on the body rather than legs, Its a bacterial infection of the skin, the bacteria is almost always present on most horses but only becomes an issue under certain conditions, when the skin is compromised, often from being wet a lot from rain but also if over rugged some horses get it from the sweatiness under the rug all the time. Treatment is generally removal of the scabs and cleaning with a surgical scrub then protecting with a good soothing cream like sudocreme. But it is generally found on the top of the back rather than on their sides. Does your horse have it higher up too? if not perhaps a picture close up showing the bald patches better :D

Looks like rain scald to me, poor chap.

My Arab is thin coated and prone to rain scald in the autumn especially. He even gets it under his forelock! The best thing I have tried (apart from removing the scabs, which harbour bacteria) is Athlete's Foot spray. I remove the scabs with a pet flea comb.

Reactions: Justamare
I think equi mins do a cream for this. Though I know some people use mouth wash to clean the area after they have removed the scabs . It kills the bacteria apparently .

newrider.com