Random Things That Put You Off Horse Adverts....

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I have looked through hundreds of ads recently and some things I find really irritating. Even though they are obviously trying to make the pony seem more attractive! So are sellers misguided, or is it just me that finds things off putting. For example:

People doing stunts on the horse. Just makes me think they don't worry too much about the horse's comfort and safety and are a bit too gung ho!

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/stunning-cob-gelding/Horses/391561#m0kgm61dqwFMeFf9.97

Saying ' NO time wasters!' Time wasters won't care and it makes me feel that people will judge me just for not liking their pony enough to buy it!

Saying For Sale Through No Fault of her Own - such a cliche. I mean no-one ever says "For sale because she's a bloody nuisance!"

Ads that say lots but tell you nothing!

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/112017635/haflinger-142-gelding.html

Pony shopping should be such fun. So why is it actually so difficult and often quite stressful!! Perhaps my next pony needs to find me....

Reactions: Ruskii and Trewsers
Blimey that Haflinger is cheap! That would just make me wonder what's wrong with him.
I too hate the words 'No time wasters' and it was one of my biggest worries when I was horse hunting, like you it made me think will people think I'm wasting their time if I don't buy it for whatever reason.
Another thing that makes me chuckle a bit is when folk say 'goes in a snaffle' I mean ok so it goes in a snaffle doesn't mean it will stop in one or do anything else you ask.
Bad spelling also makes me suspicious too, the Haflinger ad reads like it's a child selling it.

The no timewaster thing annoys me too. What or how do you define a time waster?! You don't buy every single horse you go view!
Stunts annoy me a bit too!

Reactions: KP nut
Blimey that Haflinger is cheap! That would just make me wonder what's wrong with him.....
Bad spelling also makes me suspicious too, the Haflinger ad reads like it's a child selling it.

Exactly! The price and the waffle made me think there was something seriously wrong with the pony! So won't bother following up though I do love a Haffie.

Haflinger ad re-written: :p

"100% bomproof. (Never moves) He is a 1 in a million pony and means the absolute world to me. (He's very cute) He has previously done xc and charity rides (but he won't school or jump or hack out alone) . he is never sick or sorry and can live out all year he is a very good doorer, (he's fat and I don't bother with vets much) very loving personality (he's very cute) and excerlent ground manners, (he doesn't kick or bite people) realy sorry to see him go. (he's very cute) he is 12 year old passported and all up to date with worming etc."

Over-use of the word "stunning"..... that is a matter of opinion.

"Wasted in current home" - a horse doesn't know it is wasted.... ergo....

"POA" - means I probably can't afford it! :p And why is it a secret?

Never sick or sorry is another one - what does that mean and just because its never been sick in the 3 years of its life doesn't mean its not going to colic when someone finally bother to give it a wormer...

photos of kids without hats on - if you don't care for your children I suspect your horse care has been no better.

Reactions: KP nut
The time waster thing is ridiculous - if you go and try a horse then don't buy it, are you a time waster? Unless there really are loads of people out there 'test-riding' horses for sale in lieu of actually buying their own, but I find it hard to believe that happens much.
The gushy adverts are annoying too. If you are so devastated to part with your horse - then don't. The fact that you want a 5 star home for your horse isn't going to stop tw*ts buying it so long as they've got the cash, and again, if you care that much, don't sell it. It's neither here nor there how you feel about selling your horse. Stick to a useful description and leave off the waterworks.
The expression 'dope on a rope' makes me murderous. In fact, most horse ads are just annoying cliche upon cliche that actually say very little.

Blimey that Haflinger is cheap! That would just make me wonder what's wrong with him.
I too hate the words 'No time wasters' and it was one of my biggest worries when I was horse hunting, like you it made me think will people think I'm wasting their time if I don't buy it for whatever reason.
Another thing that makes me chuckle a bit is when folk say 'goes in a snaffle' I mean ok so it goes in a snaffle doesn't mean it will stop in one or do anything else you ask.
If it's not registered it's not a Haflinger, so it's just another hairy pony, of which there are many

Bad Photos, I don't care what the owners impression is of the horse they are selling. BAD PHOTOS drive me nuts.

A head over a stable door tells you nothing, a pony wearing harness, badly fitted harness, tells me nothing. Photos of them in junk yards, old pallets on the floor and bad fencing in the photo with washing line barbed wire.

First advert shows three trotting photos in a field, nothing on a road, no other pace. Standing on, big deal, sorry doesn't do anything except make marks on your saddle in dirty boots. Is it used to depict a "quiet type" or those ideal for apple picking :)
I could stand on previous chap, not a selling point. I could do it on friends, I did spend time at stunt school though, my excuse. ;)

Adverts are hard, no time wasters means don't spend three hours here and then not like it. If I view a horse, ride them, handle them I know if I like them or not for me pretty quick.
I like honest adverts, with mine I was told she had opinions and they couldn't manage her. I prefer them to say that.
I dislike awful photos, these days most people can find someone who can press take a photo. A horse grazing, yep they all do that.
If good in traffic, show it, can jump, show something more than 6"

When I was looking for my new horse I looked at many an advert, this is an example of the kind of photo that does not inspire.

All three horses well, well into 4 figures

Reactions: Gimp and KP nut
Being honest apart from age and General description of the horse I don't read the waffle.

If something in the pics interests me angles or not I will go look at the horse.

Kia I went and saw on age and general description without seeing a pic. Saw eight horses before I saw him. Also Eowyn never saw her before I arrived at her owners place. Went on age and general description.

Maybe it's experience or just that I go more on my own instincts than what someone can write or say about a horse.

If the right pics to see conformation front and sideways are not in the ad, I ask for them to be e-mailed. Taken next morning if necessary. I have no idea why people dont use them in ads. Nor why the vids always show canter on each leg with the nose way behind the vertical.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
newrider.com