Ready To Affiliate?

Fran_C

Pony Nut
I own a talented and capable pony on whom I compete in showjumping about once a month. I usually jump in 3 foot classes and am usually in the top 3. Penny is a smooth classic style jumper who works on the bit at all times and has fantastic dressage as well. In lessons we are working at four foot (not bad for 14hh!) but I want to know wether:
a) it is worth affiliating
b) am I ready to affiliate

Any comments gratefully recieved

go for it

depends on what you want to achieve, i affiliated and found that the pace of shows and general atmosphere was much more challenging as well as the jumps! if your pony is capable of it and you want to go far then it is definitely a good way to get further - go for it!

affiliated in much more competitive than unaffilated. more people r trying to work their way to the top and r in it 4 the glory not 4 fun. although people who are still at low levels usually arn't at 1st. if u think u'r pony is capable of doing the fences then go for it. go and watch a few of the shows and then u'll know if u would feel happy doing it. junior affiliated classes r smalller than senior and british novice senior aff is only 2ft9 in the 1st round then goes up to 2ft11 in the jump off so u'r pony will be capable of that easily if he's been doing unaffiliated opens. TD

Well

Well I'd say that unless you are really dedicated and maybe are thinking of getting another pony then dont bother, because the standard is higher and theres a alot more competition. If you just want to have a bit of fun then dont, but if you are thinknig of getting into it seriously, then no, it is really expensive too.

think carefully what u want

it is v.expensive ive stopped affiliated now partly coz i cant commit with another horse to care 4 aswell but mostly because i realised that wether i liked it or not i was going for the top. basically if u want 2 win then u have 2 expect to b prepared to make lots off sacrafices and although your pony can do it now there will come a point when youll need something bigger or better etc. it is a vbig step and only 4 the truly dedicated who want 2 make it.

I've decided

I've decided that I will affiliate, it will be more challenging , and there will be a higher standard of competition, also as a pony club member it only costs me £30 to join to register Penny and for my mum to join asa non jumping member, the course building will be better and I will get away from those banana headed fizzbag ponies. Also when I sell PEnny if she is successful then she will be worth more money, I've done about as much as is possible unaff. so I think this will be worth it, i'm in to competing for fun AND success so this will be worth it.

newrider.com