really need help. Advice on local show

Every year the riding school where i work has a little show. Mainly just for the kids to charge round the xc course but theyve given permission for me and my friend to take our horses to the show next year. i know its a long way off but i want to be prepared :D
I really need advice on how to keep a spooky horse calm in a show envirnoment

thanks!

Lots of exposure! practice at home - visit some shows just for the experience, ride around a bit and go home - you don't have to take part! You just need to get your horse used to the environment and atmosphere.

practise riding in company, just one stood there then it walking round then you both doing your own thing (as in walk trot canter etc) then build it up, go for hacks (just walk then build it up again until you feel safe to canter in company)
make sure your horse listens to you no matter what distractions are there- weather, people, horses etc, put the radio on, drop random buckets/wheelbarrows when you are around just so a new thing isnt that scary (obviously dont be too close the first time!)

and lastly dont worry, it will pass on and your horse will be spooky because he doesnt know what you are looking for :)
oh at a show, perhaps put a red ribbon in his tail (sorry if shes a girl) just so people dont get too close.

How about getting a group of your friends and their neds together and have a 'de-spooking' day in a paddock, one person at a time rides, and the others wave flags, shout, play loud music, run around and generally hoon about. If the other ponies are being held in the same area it will help accustom all of them to the sort of things you may meet at a showground.

Bring picnic lunches and make a day of it.

Some things you could use include tarpaulins, shaken and rattled, lifted from the corners so air gets under it and it acts like a parachute, whistles, drums, etc., generator perhaps, bright coloured sheets and ribbons, metal things (bin lids?) to crash together, Loud Music such as would be for a Musical ride, carrier bags tied to sticks, balloons, people shouting and laughing.

Perhaps a YO would help you organise it, de-spooking neds can help when they see a horse-eating carrier bag when you are hacking.

Cheers, Midori

newrider.com