Recommend books/DVDs for a nervous rider?

The whole confidence issue is a very tricky one and I honestly do believe that everyone is either one horse or one ride away from them.

I have owned ex racers who were a bit tricky, but no horse has challenged my confidence like Tobes becauses he is unpredictable. He can be as brave as a lion, but managed to break my wrist with two massive double spooks. He bronced me off goood and proper, not just a few bucks, but a proper grunting, head between legs and twisting at the same time.

There was a point I really didn't want to ride him at all, BUT, I have to say, having lessons, albeit in a school helped my confidence loads with him. Actually it didn't mean I could ride him any better or stop any issues, but mentally, it really seemed to help.

Since then, I have done fun rides with him, been cubbing, done dressage stuff, done a bit of jumping, gone to shows etc., and all has been fine (ish!!). But I am careful that if I am going to do a fun ride, I work him hard a couple of week before and gallop him the day before, and we are fine, but there was a point with his unpredictability that he really did frighten me.

Reactions: Chrisnscully
newrider.com