Recovery following sore back (saddle)

Pigletsmum

Oct 4, 2008
Can anyone give me any advice/reassurance about horses with sore backs eventually getting better?

Frankies back has been sore since he didn't get on with his cheyenne. He's had about 6 weeks off and we've dabbled with various treatments (chiro, physio , bowen). I think the physio gave the best results but he refused to let her treat him when she came back for round 2 and was getitng dangerous.

We're now back in work, he has some tightness in his back still and muscle wastage on the right side. I've ordered a scholl massage thing and some sore no more gel and he seems to like his ghost saddle. I did a slightly longer hack today (30mins) but it was quite downhill/uphill and he seemed a bit sore afterwards :eek: we're only staying in walk at the mo.

Im sorry for being way out of line... but I kind of think he wouldn't let her treat him a second time after the first time for a reason :eek: - the first time could be anything... but having had it once and refusing again would make me question why :eek:

Muscle wastage will take a long time to rebuild well, I cant remember what pad you have underneath? Where is he sore? Are you shimming for the muscle wastage? It could also be because your weight is at the back of the saddle??

Hi PF :)

I don't think you're out of order at all :) my impression was that he didn't like the technique she used as it was quite energetic (violent perhaps?). WHat were you thinking of re: the physio

I think the problems with the cheyenne were to do with my weight being at the back of the saddle which is why I posted today when I noticed I was sitting at the back today :eek:

His soreness is at the back of the saddle area - the cheyenne was too long and it was the one with the fixed cantle. I think because he has a short back and loin and that in the cheyenne I was sitting too far back that this caused pressure and soreness at the back. I've also had problems with me being wonky which hasn't helped.

I'm using the equitex pad with the thinline at the mo and trying to find a pad for shimming.

Ive heard numerous reports that equine physios are on the "energetic" side :eek:... As such I personally have avoided it for madam - she would do her nut. She runs to the back of the stable just meeting someone new! It would break her trust in me if I let anyone near her that hurt her. I don't understand the difference though - human physio isnt like that?? :confused:

And :eek: if his cheyenne was too long?! If I upgrade, I would be getting a size 1 barefoot for madam... shes only 12hh and short backed!!

I would probably just cut holes in the outer material of equitex to shim if you are otherwise happy with it :eek: Then you can just put a wedge in to fill the "muscle loss" hole. At the moment, I think, at best it will make the saddle unstable, but at worst causing more pressure to fall on that area, so making it harder for it to develop (decreased bood flow = longer development time).

You'll just have to go stirrup less from now on mwahahahahaha :D:p

Stirrupless is fine at the mo - not sure about cantering or galloping but plenty of time to improve my balance :D

The cheyenne was way too long for him - we could maybe have got away with it but we had a new model so I couldn't remove the cantle and stuff with something soft so my fat bum was right on the hard bit. Plus the cheyenne with the normal pommel in weighed a blooming ton!!

You'd probably get away with it on your pony as long as they don't have a short loin too?

newrider.com