Reeds, bushes and random vegetation

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Despite being in a nice decent sized field with grass in it (thanks to recent rain, hurrah!) Roxy seems to like spending her time reaching as far over the fence as she can to reach the reeds, prickly bushes, blackberry bushes and other random, non-tasty looking shrubbery.

Other than my concern that she's going to fall in the ditch as she is literally teetering right on the edge (and the YO doesn't have the electric on) are bushes and shrubs, reeds in particular, known to be harmful? Other than the blackberries I can't see any other berries that should be poisonous.

Anybody know if it's like to be a sign that she is lacking something in her diet if she's choosing to not eat the grass?

Have asked YO to turn electric on so hopefully I won't find my horse in a ditch looking sorry for herself!

Its just them "self regulating" though I find madam in the reeds when she is thirsty - is there enough water in field that she can access (ie not shood away from by others)??

I don't think that's a problem, she's quite bossy when it comes to the others and they don't all tend to congregate around the water trough anyway.

But worth considering. It could just be coincidence I've found her there a couple of times when I go up - perhaps she just likes to snack in that area at a particular time of day?!

Can't help but just thought i'd mention that I changed my two's field today to one with grass in and Harvey put his head down straight away to start munching where as Piccolo aimed straight for the trees, quickly followed by the nettle and blackberry patch. She was really in her element. I have noticed though that Piccolo loves that sort of stuff more then grass where as when the grass has gone Harvey seems to think there's nothing to eat!

Funny you should say that LF - Silver was the same, but since they have been restructed to blackberries nettles etc she has found new love - goes out of her way for blackberries now - pulls whole stems off - I dont understand how it doesnt hurt to eat all the prickles!

But my two a rethriving off it :)

newrider.com