related distance fences

Kerry Claire

Aug 30, 2004
Cheshire/Manchester
Visit site
Right, I want to start jumping Sam properly soon as up until now we have only done single fences. I was planning on starting to free-school him over doubles so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the number of strides I need to use for take off/landing/a single horse stride? Also should I start with a 2-strided double of just one stride? Any help much appreciated :) .

2 human strides for the landing, 4 human strides for 1 horse stride plus another 2 human strides for the take off. So a one stride double would have 8 human strides between the two fences (2+4+2). This is based on an average horse stride so not applicable to ponies.

generally its 2 yrds for take off and landing then 4 yards for a single stride fence. id examine with canter poles first though to see what size stride sam will take.
merlin was actually 41/2 yrds for a one stride :eek:

Thanks guys :)

Sam's a 14.3hh cob so do you reckon he could count as a horse as he's only just into it - I'm not really sure whether he's got a short or long stride, I think it depends on his mood but he's generally quite lazy so I'm tempted to say short. I guess I'll just have to try it out and alter the distace accordingly now that I have a rough guide.

So what do you think would be esier for him - a 1 or 2 strided double?

newrider.com