Rhi and her season once again

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
Rhi for some reason has come into season now. Watching her tonight with the new horse on the yard, Barney, and there she was standing with her head over the fence giving him snogs. She then stands astride and starts to hos. Then she truns her back to him shoving her bum through the fence (now I know how she got creosote over her). Just what is it about her. Could he be a rig or is she just fussy? Last time she was like this was last year when my friends foal was on the yard. She has not bothered with the new foals.

it's quite normal for her to fancy one gelding and not others, he must be a sexy man! last year, we were trying a big 4yo tb mare, and so we didn't always upset the stallions by teasing her, and the only one of our geldings she'd show to was a 13hh very unprepossessing 21year old one. harvey had no idea what was going on, he's never had an impure thought in his life! but molly was in love...

Thank goodness for that. It just might explain the none seasons. She is a squealer at the best of times but has never gone on to this extent for ages. What she is experiencing now is what I would call a full blooded season. The other mares on the ayrd have these regularly but not her.

my mare had two geldings living next door to her and one of them she loathed nad the other she loved..its happen on 2 occasions in bad weather that one of the geldings has broken into her field and the one she hates she bullied and left him with cuts all over and the other she shared her breakfast with

Corr Rhi must be in the LOVE. Went over to the stables yesterday to find her whizzing round the little paddock at full gallop. Thinking she was being chased by the yard dog I watched her, but there ws no sign of Blue. Thought I had better go down and let her out before she did herself any injury. As soon as she went out into the field she just galloped off stopping once for a mouthful of grass and off she went again straight to Barney. Last night when we went to bring them in she kept watching Barney to see where he was going and then she looked at me as much as to say 'Where is he going, I want to go too'

mares are tarts :D
we introduced my mare and another mare to the herd today. In a herd of 16 horses there are only 2 geldings and as soon as the other mare discoverd there was a boy she immediately came into season...i was rather confused about elja though because she was running around like a baby bouncing here and there and showing off to all the ladies and men. Actually my frist impression w as that she looked more like a stallion than she did mare :D

and while the other mare is in love with the evil little gelding and keeps shoving her bum in his face elja just kicks his bum and bites his back. horses are funny creatures!

I know this is kinda off the subject but have you heard of Mare Magic. Mare Magic I don't own a mare but I know two seasonally cranky ones. (Both of which are pregnant) Once the mares foal they're owners are going to try it. It looks cool. I e-mailed the lady and she said it tones the uterus as well making it easier to breed your mares.

Never heard of Mare Magic but I have had a look at the sale section and they have some beauties.

Conn is a tart when in season! However a specific tart. Thank heavens she has not taken a shine to the moorland stallions as hacking her would be a nightmare! She treats Moss as a big brother, but is dotty about a big Clydesdale on the yard. moss is in love with a full TB, who is also dotty about him!
The moor is a lesson of the " Mummy what are they doing?" sort. The mares are all coming into foal season and the stallions are herding like crazy!

Miriam,

Like Mossy's mare, Kerry is also a tart when in season. Just think about it!!!!!!!!! I don't witness this behaviour every "season" but I've come to realise that that's because I'm not with her 24 hours of the day. Maybe most of them are but we're just not always around to see it.

I think the exception is probably in Feb, Mar, or April when they get their double dose of hormones back. Try not to worry too much - feel proud that your mare is "entire" and can express herself.

Sandra

newrider.com