Rhia has gone

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
Friday night we lost Rhia, my best friend companion and guardian for the last 10 years. I am sure I should be devestated, but I am in so much shock about it, and can't get my head around what it all means, that I wont accept it. I have cried a bit but I know the worst is to come when it sinks in.

She started with laminitis 2 weeks ago- which was a real shock but the vet said I "caught it early enough" she said to watch out for colic after she had a bout at Christmas and box rest might cause a second attack. Well I watched and nothing, all poos fine, she had things to prevent colic but then Friday morning there was limited but she was eating fine and still trying to escape out of the door so in ok spirits! I went up at lunch time to check her and phoned the vet straight away. She had spasmodic colic. Vet was concerned and she was rushed to Liverpool where they prepped her for surgery. I told her I would see her the other end and I was warned there was a 70% survival rate. I told her, and myself, she was strong and brave and we could get through this like we had other things before and I would see her when she came round from the anaesthetic.

An hour later I had a call to say when they turned her upside down they noticed a bulge in her abdomen. When they opened her up they found a massive tumour at least 2 foot across surrounding her liver, spleen and intestines. The surgeon was so shocked with what he found. He said he couldn't even see where the tumour began but he could see there was a strong blood supply and there was no way she could survive it being removed. He was asking if he had permission to put her to sleep under GA. I begged but there was no choice, it was the end of her journey.

I can't even begin to tell you what she means to me. I know I need to write about it one day. Speaking in the past tense just isn't possible. I can't let the pain in yet.

It isn't just me either. They asked if I wanted some of her mane, my husband told them we needed quite a bit. She touched so many peoples lives and was more than just a horse. My poor god-daughter told me last night "Thank you for letting me spend time with Rhia, she gave me so much confidence, and was so patient with me and her acceptance has helped me with my autism so much" She has been sent home from school today - I know it will be a lot for her to deal with.

My sister in law is devestated, she gave her her confidence back. She did that to a few people. So kind and understanding and the wisest mare you could ever meet.

The time will come for me to be devastated, she saved my life and I wouldn't be the person I am today without her, we shared so many happy times.

RIP Rhia - beautiful ginger ninja! I am going to miss you so much.

5255_99059094276_4416120_n.jpg

Last edited:
So so sorry to hear about Rhia, i completely understand how you feel, it has been just over a month since i lost Sully and i still can't come to terms with it. It would have been his 5th birthday on Sunday just gone.

I won't say it gets easier as people grieve differently but you have my deepest sympathy and some huge hugs.

RIP Rhia xx

Sending you so many hugs!!!

I know how much you adore your gorgeous girlie, this must be horrendous for you.

You were strong for her when she needed you most and she would have known that.

Please PM if you need a chat

Thinking of you Jess. She was a wonderful mare, and I'll never forget the amazing adventures she had with Tess.

How very sad and how difficult to deal with especially when it is so unexpected. Try and keep the memory of happy times with her and let the last ones go. The happy times where what made her so special to you and others who new her.:twins: x

So sorry to read this, how heartbreaking :(

What a beautiful picture of her, was that your wedding? x

So sorry to read this. Massive hugs to you . RIP Rhia. I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling, hang onto the happy memories xxxx

That is the saddest post I have read in the long time. I can feel your pain through your words.

Rhia was so lucky to be loved so much. I'm so sorry that she is no longer here in body, although I do believe that she will be with you in spirit. Look after yourself, you have a tough few weeks ahead of you as you come to terms with this.xx

newrider.com