Rice Trailer refurb.....help needed on type of materials

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Ok, so we are now refurbing my old rice trailer.

Floor has now been removed (which was hardwood-mahogany) and the metal work underneath will be painted with hammerite. New floor of 25mm marine ply will be put down as the new floor.

Am i right in that if i put rubber matting down on top of the marine ply floor that will offer better grip and mean I won't have to use additional bedding too? Or would just the marine ply floor sealed be better/the same?

What thickness rubber flooring would i need? or eva foam?

When we took the floor out we noticed a hole in the side of the trailer behind the (rotten) wooden plinth, the metal hs corroded there. It is a side panel so hubby was going to take the side panel out and replace it...but what to replace it with? We looked at plastic but plastic is mega expensive. Could it be replaced with wood? (The roof is metal and good (needs re-riveting at the top as has come apart) so will be keeping the roof as it is so just the side panels and the front panels as they look a bit battered.

So basically

* what mm thickness/type of rubber flooring for the trailer floor?

* what can i replaced the side panels with? wood? if so what type/thickness

*Probably using eva foam for the side bumpers as have found sheets suitable as trailer/stable bumpers for £20 per 6 x 4 sheet is that ok? it's 25m thick.

*Anyone know any good suppliers!?

Hi I am refurbing a Rice trailer to. I have put a double floor in for safety just my own personal thoughts bottom floor was planks the top floor was marine ply. Mine will not have rubber in but a treated bare wood floor as my mare slips badly on rubber in trailers. Again that is personal choice. Check the bearing and replace something we found out our were burning hot each time we used the trailer.

We hamerited it everywhere under the floor too.

Hi I am refurbing a Rice trailer to. I have put a double floor in for safety just my own personal thoughts bottom floor was planks the top floor was marine ply. Mine will not have rubber in but a treated bare wood floor as my mare slips badly on rubber in trailers. Again that is personal choice. Check the bearing and replace something we found out our were burning hot each time we used the trailer.

We hamerited it everywhere under the floor too.

Glad to see i'm not the only one refurbing!

Would using rubber not help with slipping? Really just hoping if i used rubber then i'd not have to use any bedding? as find the bedding messy when at shows etc.

What marine ply are you using? Ours is 25mm thick so probably won't need a double floor i wouldn't have thought?

Quite getting into our little project :)

Anyone else have any ideas too? Especially about side panels??

can't help much, but would definitely go with double floor if you can.

My Ifor has a ribbed rubber floor. I started using it with no bedding, thinking that for longer trips I might bed up, but I never have. They and I :inlove: the rubber floor. They don't slip. There is no bedding to move or slide around. It is so easy to sweep out at the end of each journey. It was a fews years old when I bought it, I have used it 2-3 times a week for over a year, and the rubber is still immaculate. Mine aren't shod, though one is a 16.2 heffalump!

My side panels where rotten at the bottom so just put a wooden skirting over it. The main box is sound thoough. We are doing the wheels brakes and bearings this easter hols with help from a friend. I just need the electrics re doing as i ripped out all the wiring while removing the floor it all needs replacing. Then a good rub down and a paint job and we will be fully mobile for the summer :)

my Ifor is a refurbished old HB510. It has a wooden floor with rubber matting thats about 1 inch thick.

Its not the Ifor specific rubber matting as it is in strips rather than one whole sheet, but it seems to do the job fine!

can't help much, but would definitely go with double floor if you can.

My Ifor has a ribbed rubber floor. I started using it with no bedding, thinking that for longer trips I might bed up, but I never have. They and I :inlove: the rubber floor. They don't slip. There is no bedding to move or slide around. It is so easy to sweep out at the end of each journey. It was a fews years old when I bought it, I have used it 2-3 times a week for over a year, and the rubber is still immaculate. Mine aren't shod, though one is a 16.2 heffalump!

Yep, mine arn't shod either :) (and are only 13.2hh and 12hh) Good to know i can not put a bed in as it's a royal pain when going to shows especially as i bed on pellets so have to specifically buy shavings for the trailer.

My side panels where rotten at the bottom so just put a wooden skirting over it. The main box is sound thoough. We are doing the wheels brakes and bearings this easter hols with help from a friend. I just need the electrics re doing as i ripped out all the wiring while removing the floor it all needs replacing. Then a good rub down and a paint job and we will be fully mobile for the summer :)

It think that's what the person before us did as it had skirting around the bottom. The skirting was rotten though and when we took it off the metal has all corroded away from the bottom. The rest of it is sound but looks a bit battered.

Our electrics etc are all good though and the brakes and bearings are fine too (I love my hubby being a electrician and previously a mechanic!)

We only have until the 8th May to get mobile though (even if not cosmetically finished) as that is when my first show is and then we have a show about every 2 weeks after.

my Ifor is a refurbished old HB510. It has a wooden floor with rubber matting thats about 1 inch thick.

Its not the Ifor specific rubber matting as it is in strips rather than one whole sheet, but it seems to do the job fine!

So far we've only found 6 x 4 sheets of rubber and my trailer is 9 x 5. Hubby wants to try and find some reasonably priced extra wide rubber on a roll as he doesn't like joins (and is a perfectionsist :unsure:)

Last edited:
newrider.com