Riding a halt....help please :o

joey_olop

I Love My Olops!!!!!
Jul 15, 2003
Sunny Slough!!
Visit site
Hi All

I have been given the all clear to start Blackie into work again, but we have to work on the basics-for the next month only walking, trotting, transitions & teaching correct bend for him :)

I got on him yesterday & have just realised how little walk to halt transitions we used to do :eek: He is terrible at them!

He will throw his head up in protest & wander off each time, can someone explain to me how to ride the perfect halt & how to stop him resisting like this?? He is doing it purely out of resistance as we never really did it before, he is definately not in any pain.

Pick a point in your mind where you are going to halt. Prior to that point "think" about slooooooooooowing down and start half halts.
As you get near the spot take a deep breath and breathe out relaxing your body at the same time (stop riding!)
If you are encountering resistance and wandering off then the chances are you are using too much rein for his liking! Try and get halt from your body aids first and then introduce "keeping an outline" as you halt in small increments.

Pick a point in your mind where you are going to halt. Prior to that point "think" about slooooooooooowing down and start half halts.
As you get near the spot take a deep breath and breathe out relaxing your body at the same time (stop riding!)
If you are encountering resistance and wandering off then the chances are you are using too much rein for his liking! Try and get halt from your body aids first and then introduce "keeping an outline" as you halt in small increments.

Totally agree, and still your body and seat and bear down, the horse will respond and slow with your body and the halt will come more naturally.:)

Agree with the others but what I also do with Dolly when she puts her head up and walks through the aid, is to circle her. Small, tight circles until she stops, then I release and praise. It's a simple tool that teaches them it's easier to stop when you ask then to keep on going, because small circles are hard work.

For halt from walk squeeze your butt so your seat bones rise up (not so you take your bum out of the saddle though ;) ) Make sure you don't tip forward and sit up ensureing your tummy/core is held so your don't tip your pelvis forwards. Slighyly tucking your bum a bit at the same time.

Be gentle on the reins gently sqeezing your fingers... almost feathering the reins but don't pull back or drop your hands down towards the wither. Ensure when you get the halt you relax your butt but don't colaspe forward as this will put your horse on the forehand and encourage a step forwards.

If you where to this trot to halt, you would squeeze you butt a bit more. The more you practise this the quicker the horse gets so the lease you need to do.

By squeezing your butt which lifts your seat bones, you allow the horse to lift his back and step under to get a good halt. If you block his back coming up the horse finds it harder to step under and will not halt easily.

Hope that helps ;)

Last edited:
newrider.com