Riding bitless

PinkGlamourGurl

Wont you shine, shine on.
Dec 8, 2005
North East, UK
Wasnt sure where to put this but yeahh.

I often ride fleur just in a headcollar and leadrope, down from the field, playing xc etc. Was thinking, is it just like riding with a bitless bridle?

I've just bid on one on ebay(Being the happy ebayer i am not) and i'm hoping fleur will be happy enough to school/jump etc in it.

rding in a headcollar is like a bitless sidepull.
what sort have you bid on? they all have different actions that some horses prefer.

BRAND NEW BITLESS BRIDLE

CROSS-UNDER DESIGN

FULL SIZE, BLACK

IDEAL FOR NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP ENTHUSIASTS, IT IS VERY KIND TO THE HORSE AS IT WORKS BY APPLYING PRESSURE TO THE POLL, CHEEKS AND NOSE.

POPULAR WITH ENDURANCE RIDERS, HAPPY HACKERS, OR THOSE WHO HAVE HORSES WITH BITTING PROBLEMS.

NO RESERVE

That 1 :D

ah a cross under, similar to the dr cook style. better brakes than the sidepull. works by applying pressure to the opposite side of the head when turning and 'hugging' the head when both reins are applied.

the seller is a little restrictive in how (s)he defines prospective buyers and their preferred activities ;) ........ horse in them jump, do dressage (hc), drive, polo, hunt and event to name a few things. The only restrictions other than whether your horse responds well to it is when you want to compete in some disciplines :mad: .... other than that just try it and see.

as to your question re comparisson with BB and headcollar ... you will have a bit more accuracy and "stopping power" with the BB as it is better designed to fit closer to the head so it is more precise.

hope all goes well if you win it !

Hi Pink,

This how we see it,
Bitless is state of mind, not a tack choice.
if we get a horse moving in all 4 directions softly on the ground, up and down in gaits, and stopping on a command. That horse is ready to be ridden in a rope halter.
We work on balance in gaits up to a canter in the round yard, then introduce a snaffle bit. Go thru it all again in the snaffle. sort out any shys or little hard twists, then the horse is ready for anything. One day we might throw on a braided bosal hackamore, the next a rope halter then bit. It makes no difference, the horse has learned to give to pressure and follow a feel. But we have 2 big differences, they have a calm down /halt cue in built and a lot of backup cue training. We cannot overstate the value of these cues. The calm down cue is in built from foaling, if we rest our hand on the neck, it is a cue for the horse to relax, everything is OK.

We have one poor pinto mare that is the test horse for anything we find or make that is interesting. She follows a feel no matter how that feel is delivered. Training controls a horse, not tack. We make rope horse tack, and absolutely refuse to sell a solution to problem... there is no such thing.

There is always a complicated mix of horse, rider, tack in every problem, Tack is the minor player in this menage a trois......is that correct???, je ne parle francois, je suis un Austalian, (remember the rainbow warrior)

back in '89 as i crossed the channel to france, a grubby little man handed me a form to fill out. So i did, Occupation: Under water demolition expert,
employer: Greenpeace
I like to think that some time later, a junior class 1 clerk processed the form, slapped his head and shouted "sacre blu, sabatour!!!!".......

Last edited:
Lyrics from I Ride An Old Paint: http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/ride-old-paint.shtml (Or do a Google search for "I Ride An Old Paint.")

I Ride An Old Paint is particularly well-suited to sing to a restless cattle herd, as it's a smooth, easy-going melody tends to calm the herd. (And as you may well-imagine, singing it while riding in the Great Open does a lot for bonding the horse with the rider.)

Here's some historical background: http://www.cowboypoetry.com/whoknows2.htm

The "improper" grammar in my tag line is true to the original (traditional) lyrics; the word "for" is missing from the modern versions. (And as is usually the case, modernization has diminished the [poetic] value.)

Best regards,
Harry

Last edited:
The houlihan is the preferred way of catching a single horse from the herd. It eliminates the "loop" swinging overhead before being tossed. The "loop" is tossed without swinging so that the herd isn't spooked by the rope. On the large ranches, the "horse boss" must catch each cowboy a horse from the herd and is always an expert with the houlihan. Imagine what a herd of horses would do if you walked around swinging a rope over your head. ;)

Course, this horse catching is done each morning at the "string line", unless the herd is in a corral. :) Ahh, a life I can only dream of. :rolleyes:

Have fun, be safe

Jack

I like to think that some time later, a junior class 1 clerk processed the form, slapped his head and shouted "sacre blu, sabatour!!!!".......

Oh! :eek: you are so naughty :p You were lucky not to finish behind bars, we do not have that sense of humour :D No more fires then, you are back on line :cool:

Pink, just to emphasize what the"anti-frog" just said. it does not matter the tack, but you areally need to have a calmdown cue in-built. I have never heard about it before coming accross NH. It is very important.

newrider.com