Riding gloves

Chloe92x

Aug 30, 2013
Hi all?0! Hope you're all well :)

Can you lovely people please recommend good waterproof and windproof riding gloves? :)

Thanks in advance! :)

i'd go to a shop like robinsons and try them on!!!!!! took me trying on 4 pairs til I found the good pair :) Though it depends- cheap pair usually fit but don't last. Good pair= 15-25 quid so worth trying before you buy. I mean some medium pairs didn't fit me and I never would class my fingers as oversized or anything :p

MacWet for me, great quality, wash well and last for ages, wind and water resistant too.

I like Carrots gloves but they aren't waterproof, however they are a great fit, can be washed and are the only ones I can actually feel the reins through! Oh and I have about 10 pairs of pimple palm ones that I also can ride in, but mainly use for yard chores. I have tried lots of different ones over the last few winters, I had some Mountain Horse ones and some leather Harry Hall ones which were quite nice.

My winter riding gloves are Roekl and I'd like to get some for OH.
But mine were best buy eleven years ago in my first winter of hacking.
All my pricey stuff has lasted except for thin Roekl dressage gloves which I love but which wear out. OH has a pair of those with a slightly thicker lining, the winter model. But I think he needs more.
I need to wait and see when the winter stock comes in. The Roekl warm gloves in our local shop now are less expensive and dont look to be waterproof.

From other forums, I know some people love sealskinz and some hate them.

Edited to say thanks to your question I have just found mine on line. Which I failed to do earlier this year.
I think mine are called Ascot - I knew they had a British sounding name. And it looks as if I can get him some!

Last edited:
Sealskinz are more my work gloves, great for dealing with wet haylage in cold temperature

I need to confess confusion. Looking at variation in stock and prices, it could be that there are two models of the Ascot glove - mine are the winter version.

There are also two versions of the Chester gloves - normal and winter (see previous post)

I could mention that when helping on the yard I always wore Woofwear fingerless gloves and still do. When grooming I like to be able to touch and feel the surface of the horse, to ckeck it over, and it is easier to tack and untack with no glove cover. Those fingerless mitten gloves were always warm enough for leading and even riding too.
But not massively waterproof when handling hoses I seem to remember. At the RS there is automated watering system but at the big house the "conservation grade" stable has no mod cons.

I could mention that when helping on the yard I always wore Woofwear fingerless gloves and still do. When grooming I like to be able to touch and feel the surface of the horse, to ckeck it over, and it is easier to tack and untack with no glove cover. Those fingerless mitten gloves were always warm enough for leading and even riding too.
But not massively waterproof when handling hoses I seem to remember. At the RS there is automated watering system but at the big house the "conservation grade" stable has no mod cons.

Thanks Skib!! :)

newrider.com