riding holidays

depends where you wanna go. be careful what you go for though. me & a friend went on a riding weekend & had a nightmare, never went back the 2nd day. my friends mount bolted with her 4 times then fell over coz he was t*ting about. she then swapped onto the pony the ride leader was on. the bloke practically had to pin the pony to the floor so she could get on then he cantered in circles the second he let go. we'd be walking one second, gallping the next with no warning and no in between!! and as for me, i'm 5'2, the shortest of us all & was put on a 17.2hh, then swapped onto the naughty pony my friend was put on 2nd coz she was fed up by this point. i had him sorted but he pulled like a steam train, way too strong for children, which was what we were told he was normally used for!!. anyway, point is, do your homework before you book up!!! ;)

England or abroad?

hi all
has anyone been on or heard of any good progressive adult rider holidays for the nervous rider? any ideas greatly welcomed.

Hi there,

Where do you want to go - OH and I have been on several both in UK and Spain. P'm me with your criteria and I will try to help.

For this country - it is hard to beat Murthwaite Green in Cumbria. They will tailor a holiday to suit your requirements. Downside:;) Being in the Lake District the weather is very mixed! Take your waterproofs:D

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a nervous rider and have been losing my confidence a lot lately. I was recommended to go to Iceland for a riding holiday, so I am in September:)

My mum has just come back from a holiday here

http://www.ridingholidays-ivesley.co.uk/

She had a great time and they catered for her really well - she does not like to canter so had a private lesson every morning and then a private hack in the afternoon whilst the others were out cantering around.

Thats my school! We met some holidaymakers there last Friday late morning..... but just briefly, enough to say hello and listen to their sor bum tales - in the tack room, and the lady thought my daughter had left her hat lying.... I was there just this morning, its my second home, riding three times this week..

Ivesley did the Ladette to Lady side saddle lessons as well. Caters for everyone, nervous, beginner or experienced. Who did your mum ride?

Last edited:
I agree, I went on a riding holiday to Ivesley in October last year and thought it was great! Also a really good deal as you get a lot of riding for your money (with good food and accomodation too)!

now my (very light) cover has been blown! all you Ivesley goers will recognise Pepsi and Max....

did you ride either of them?

Its a great place, and the instructors will definitely give you the chance to progress - they are used to nervous and unconfident riders ( very small voice - they do put up with me at least twice a week after all....)

Umm, can't remember which one Max is! In my lessons I rode a mare called Patsy and also a grey gelding who was nice but apparently can be a bit nutty out hacking. I rode a big cobby bay mare out hacking, can't remember her name, and there was another lovely cob, but I can't remember his name either (terrible memory!).

The instructors were really good at confidence giving lessons - I had a couple of really good lessons working on my riding position - lots of work without stirrups- ouch! Someone else who was there the same week as me was really scared about jumping, and was happily popping round a small course of cross poles by the ed of the week!

Thats my school! We met some holidaymakers there last Friday late morning..... but just briefly, enough to say hello and listen to their sor bum tales - in the tack room, and the lady thought my daughter had left her hat lying.... I was there just this morning, its my second home, riding three times this week..

Ivesley did the Ladette to Lady side saddle lessons as well. Caters for everyone, nervous, beginner or experienced. Who did your mum ride?

Ha - what a coincidence! Yes - that would have been my mum you were talking to. She was there with her husband and has just been telling me how sore her bum was. She didn't know the wonders of a HM seatsaver but has assured me she will be borrowing mine next time she visits.

She was riding Topper 1 and 2 and her hubby changed horses a lot because he's a more advanced/confident rider - he was riding Prince (amongst others).

Oh, I rode Prince! He was a little annoying because he did do quite a bit of head shaking, but he was much better when I took him to the front of the ride. Clearly thought that this whas where he should be!

Umm, can't remember which one Max is! In my lessons I rode a mare called Patsy and also a grey gelding who was nice but apparently can be a bit nutty out hacking. I rode a big cobby bay mare out hacking, can't remember her name, and there was another lovely cob, but I can't remember his name either (terrible memory!).

The instructors were really good at confidence giving lessons - I had a couple of really good lessons working on my riding position - lots of work without stirrups- ouch! Someone else who was there the same week as me was really scared about jumping, and was happily popping round a small course of cross poles by the ed of the week!

The nutty grey gelding is Boris, he's a lovely ride but an awkward cuss - I don't ride him any more (plenty of detail in other threads)
The bay mare will be molly, the other cob, if brown would be Bradley probably or if piebald likely to be T2.

Rarah your mum's hubby probably rode Gerry and Patsy as well as Prince...

The instructors are really nice - I have lessons with Julie and Sara.

That's right - Boris, and I agree about the 'awkward cuss' comment! And yes I rode Molly and Bradley. I thought Bradley was lovely! Though I did quite enjoy riding Patsy too.

Iceland is a good place, thy have horses to suit all levels and if you go on a longer tour you'll get to ride lots, and as you get better you can be given the more forwards going horses.

You'll love it.

newrider.com