Riding in a pelham with just one rein on the curb :/

xRobyn

& phil :)
Mar 20, 2009
Essex
My friend has just shown me some photos of a show she saw at the weekend and there are jousters riding with a pelham but with only one rein on the curb part (not sure of the technical names :eek: lol).

I wasn't sure this would be good? Opinions please :)

I was just about to edit my original post. I presume this just works in the way most western shanked bits do, but why not use another bit? Seems a little lazy to me and I wouldn't be happy riding on just the curb rein.

Depends on the horse and the rider I suppose, but would imagine it's very much stop / go riding which I suppose it would suit. A lot of iberian horses are traditionally ridden in curb bits which amount to the same thing.

I don't disagree Eml, I just haven't seen any english riders (it was an english display team) riding in a pelham on the curb rein and was curious :)

That was the kind of bit used back in the days of jousting :) They are probably just adding an authentic element. I sometimes gig out at Ren fairs and asked one of the jousters about it once. He let me have a pootle on his VERY BIG hossy, and I felt like a big wuss cus I couldn't hold the lance!!!

xxx

I have seen a young girl ride with just one rein and that being fixed to the curb. I didn't really see her in the field so don't know if she had good hands or not, but I personally wouldn't ride like that.

After swapping and playing and messing about with different bits I found the thing one of my Icelandics went best in was the curb bit alone, from my double bridle. Took me 2 years to find his particular key.

Totally weird to most folks views, but I had a happy, relaxed and controlable horse.

I then went to the trouble of buying an Icelandic curb bit, with a solid mouth just like the curb.....only to find he hated it, so back to half of my double.

There's also the possibility that they needed the curb action, but can't use a western type bit becasue the shanks are too long and can catch :eek:

Rode a polo pony that was ridden off the bottom ring of a pelham, but was a very close coupled shank with virtually no gap between the two rings and it worked a dream with him. We had an issue when he went over to polocrosse as you're not allowed any shanked bit and he never really went as well as when he was in the pelhan :rolleyes:

i never knew that :) (i'm from polo background) you learn a new thing every day :D

Sure do :) It's because they can get caught on the nets of the polocrosse sticks. You're not really supposed to have curb chains either because of the hooks, but myler do quick links now which are like mini carabeenas (sp.) so no hooks :rolleyes:

Sorry, hijacked thread slightly!

As Eml said, "Much better for sharp horse to be bitted accordingly as long as the rider has good hands. "

I tried Ace in all manner of myler snaffles, lose ring snaffles, comfort this that and the next thing and gags for jumping (he is a LOON to jump). I tried him in a pelham with two reins and he still took the aboslute p*ss. I would rather have him in the pelham on the curb rein for jumping than yank the hell out of his mouth in a softer bit. In the pelham with just the curb I had little to no contact, he didn't over bend and we had control without having to yank his mouth around.

In my eyes if you NEED a stronger bit and know how to use your hands sympathetically with it, that's a much better combination than yanking a snaffle through your horses mouth.

I love my globe pelham for things where Molly gets carried away (sponsored rides etc - where there is galloping in open country in company) we have no ability to stop in anything else.

I don't use it for every day though - just "special" occasions :)

You see the Globe Pelham used out here a lot.

i was watching the jumping on telly thos weekend and someone was riding in a double bridle with roundings on the bits!!!

Which jousting team was it out of interest ??

Quite a few jousting teams use polo ponies for the displays, as they are quick off the mark, have good brakes and turning etc. Obviously using the same tack they would do normally.

When jousting you don't need any extra reins to worry about as well as the lance, shield etc. Also you should have noticed that the majority of the horses would not have been ridden on a tight rein as they know their job ie keeping close to the tilt, galloping toward another horse on the other side of it, and that the riders will only apply rein pressure when requiring brakes, or turning at the end of the tilt or for any stunts that might be done etc

Debs

newrider.com