Riding Ponies

Cheko

Jul 7, 2002
East Sussex
Visit site
I own and ride a 12.3hh Exmoor gelding. I'm 5'1" and wiegh 8 stones so he's just right for me. I've had him from a 6 month old foal. He's a lovely little ride, intelligent, quick, sometimes stroppy and he's not suitable for a child. He hacks out alone or in company, does a bit of jumping and dressage (ver simple dressage tho). I've ben riding over 40 years (I'm 50) and I want something fairly lively and not too tall so he fits the bill perfectly.:)

they need to be on your computer, and a maximum size of 51200 bytes, and 500 x 500 pixels. when you go to post, under the box you write in is the option to attach file. click 'browse', click on your picture and then reply as normal.
if they're on the internet already, you can add a link to them just be typing in the address, or use

We've got a 12.2hh Exmoor, she is similar, in the indoor school she can be enchanting with kids,.....some days. I'm a lot bigger and heavier than you and occasionaly she needs reminding of her manners so I need to school her......she trots round with no problem.

ES - I see you live in Hammersmith. Do you ride in London? In the 70s I used to work in stables round Hyde Park corner and bought my first horse from there. I must say tho there's more places to ride in London than there is down here on the south coast.
I will scan a photo in of my pony and send it to you, probably be tomorrow now.
Hear from you soon.
Bye.

She is Dukara Teasle. Not a heavy set mare at all, almost show pony like.

Lyz - no, i ride in bournemouth, where i keep the beasts. i'm vaguely thinking about moving one of them up here if i can find a good yard with winter turnout, but i'm not terribly hopeful on that count! so i commute to see them at weekends at the minute.

ponies

I'm feeling much better hearing everyone talking about their ponies. I was having one of those days where you wonder whether your pony is big enough when people do the 'only 13.2hh, wouldn't you be better on a 15hh?' thing again.

I am 5ft tall and a size 10/12 and ride a 13.2hh lightweight New Forest type (any of you who go on the Mature Riders forum may remember me asking about his breeding).

Rupert is 6 years old and (as usual) came from a 12 year old who couldn't manage him as he is very fizzy and excitable, but is an ideal ride for me as he goes fast and well but isn't huge!

Does anyone know whether I can compete on him in any jumping classes? He is a stunning jumper (also a nuisance as he can jump the electric fence, even when it was up to 5ft on the longest poles we could get!!!!)

Apparently I cannot compete with affliated riding clubs as their bottom limit is 14hh - what about local shows has anyone any experience of this?

Attachments

• rupert2.jpg
    rupert2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 142
as far as unaffilated or local shows go, you can pretty much enter anything. they often have some classes with age restrictions, or novice classes where the horse mustn't have won a certain amount of money, or not to have won a jumping class. but in general, you should be able to find something that will suit you and rupert. our local shows normally have things like a 2'3 open, 2'6 open, 3'0 open and so on - anyone can enter.
local shows will also have classes for unregistered ponies like handy pony, family pony and so on, so you can branch out from jumping a bit if you want to.

newrider.com