Rubber Pelham - leather bits??

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
I have a mullen rubber (stiff) pelham. It has a leather type curb that is also linked to another leather strap attached to the little rings on the bit.

I have never used it yet, as normally ride in hanging cheek french link. Previous owners used the pelham for faster sponsored rides and hunting. I tried to look at attaching this pelham to an old bridle that someone has given to me and I cannot work out how you would get it in his mouth with the leather bits attached :confused:

Any clues??

I am taking him on his first sponsored ride on Sun, but it isnt going to be too fast, so think I'm sticking with the bridle and bit we are used to.....less stressful. ;)

think you have a lip strap and a leather curb chain :)
undo curb chain (will still be attached to lip strap so wont drop on the floor which is its purpose) put bit in as usual (lip strap shouldnt interfere, just make sure it doesnt get gathered up with bit in the mouth) then fasten it all up again :)

*toddles off to find picture :)*

If she hasnt found one for you then I'll take a picture of mine at home tonight along with an explanation :)

The only way the lipstrap would cause a problem is if it's much too tight - in which case it needs removing =]

Apart from that, as above!

Thanks all. A piccy would be very much appreciated.

As I only have a day or two to sort it out and get used to it, I am not going to use it for this ride (will stick with his hanging cheed/french snaffle) - my accompanying friends said we will try and avoid going too mad and take it steady!! He is good friends with her horse now, so I'm sure he'll stick with him :eek:

Very greateful for the info (& forthcoming pics......)

courtesy of google images :)
180px-SaddleSeatCurbAll.jpg

if you dont like the lip strap, then just take it off, it doesnt 'do' anything apart from stops you loosing your curb chain if it unhooks itself :)

Actually there is another purpose - the lip strap prevents the shanks of the bridle moving too far from the mouth (which really means forwards from the mouth), without the curb action having to kick in to do so. Really the chances of the lip strap having to 'act' in this way is minimal, but that's the other purpose =]

It is fine to get rid of it with most horses and in most cases, if you need to =] I just threw that in ^ for interest ;)

Thanks all. The bit is very similar to Daisy's second pic, but with a leather curb chain. Having read all of your comments, I'm inclined to remove the lip strap......

More information for me to absorb:) Only just mastered getting the bridle on calmly and easily with the other bit :D
:D

Hi PL52. Not for me ;)

I'm a novice/mature rider who bought my first-ever horse (Edward) six weeks ago.

I've just looked thru the forum and I think your search is for Polly !

Thanks anyway :D:D

Thanks EMI. It's all so complicated. That's why I have decided to take him to the sponsored ride and stick with his current bit (hanging cheek, french link). Hope he's not too strong for me :eek:

He's quite a calm boy (welsh sec D) and my friend is going to keep the ride quite steady. So, if he sticks with his horsey friend we should be fine.

Does that mean that all Pelhams with curbs should have a lip piece??

:confused:

should perhaps, but most dont even at competition.

we dont use one for everyday with the pelham, but do with the double bridle.
always have a lipstrap at shows.

Ok - thank you. Gosh, I just got used to his normal bridle and now all of this:eek:

I hope he's going to be a good boy for me in his more gentle bit :rolleyes:

thank you :D

pelhams arent really that different, but if you arent sure have a lesson with him wearing it so your instructor can teach you how to use it :)

newrider.com