Rubbing his mane out

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I'm really confused on this. Each year since I moved to this yard round late Feb/ early March all of a sudden my horse rubs his mane nearly out :cry:

It's always in the central part of his mane and it's never red or sore or skin broken. He's a coloured cob with a predominately white mane, where it's rubbed there is a black substance on his mane and where that is at the base is where he's rubbing.

Doesn't matter what field he's in at the farm he does it each year :confused: Far to cold for midgies so I don't have a clue.

Any ideas ?

Rainsheet at the moment but it happens whether or not he's wearing a rug. He's never had a neck rug on.

Not the rug then,malaikas does that but its due to neck rugs.do you see him rubbing and itching it?I used neem oil on a horse I used to have as she always got the itch when winter woolies and spring coats were changing and it helped stop the itchyness might be worth a try.

Do you have hedges round the field, the reason I ask, is our mare was notorious for taking the middle of her mane out, it grew back over summer , I though it was on the posts - so strung electric, until I caught her one morning - we have thick hawthorne hedging round the field on the middle section its quite high and what I had missed (due to being vertically challenged) was an overhang branch - it was just the right height for madam to stand under and rub the mane area - too high for bottom of mane and too low for top - took the loppers to it and not had problems since, we check the hedge lines and lop anything suspect now. She does get itchy mane and tail feb/march as coat starts shedding - so damn much of it - it goes in lugs but its not warm enough to strip out - shes much better once she can have a shampoo and we can get pour on - it tends to stop it.
just noticed coloured cob like our mare! feel for you!

Last edited:
Good idea - he's out in a 15-20 acre field. I think there is hedges on one side :unsure: Certainly low branches from trees anyway. He's already rubbed a section out :cry:

Tempted to hog him :ninja: but he has no defense against flies then. Will take some piccies.

Might give it a wash with tea tree shampoo and slather in anti itch cream ? It's all I can think off that I could treat it with. Ordered some neem oil too.

Daisy does this every year too, just the middle, she looks like she has a shark fin wobbling about on her neck!! As a Haffie she should have a luscious long flowing mane not a stupid wobbly bit in the middle :redface:
I have just electric taped all round my fencing but I never thought of looking up but like Lemme said, we too have an old stumpy dead tree, I am off to investigate if there is Haffie mane on the branch :giggle:

I'm off to investigate the field then - I have seen him stretching his neck out to eat on the other side of his field near farm track so will have a look.

newrider.com