Rubic's paddock... T/O options advice please! *photos added*

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
So Rubic is in a 20x60 paddock. She destroys the grass in a day and I cannot keep moving her paddock (it is too dark so early now let alone the work it involves). Me and the farmer were discussing it and we were going to make a big strip up the side of the current field (which is full over very rich grass) and have a bit of tape I could move up each night to give some extra grass and space and make it easier for me. However the bottom of the field is a bog which I don't think is good for her ligament and the grass is just going to pile the weight on her although it does keep her occupied and stops her moving around too much. She is lazy when she has food and is very unlikely to go galloping around which made me think... I could put her out in the fatties strip with two ponies. It is much bigger than what she has been used to but there is (poor) grass in it so I think she'd actually move around less than she does in her current paddock (when there is no grass she walks the fence line) and the movement she would do would be a bit more gentle than what she is doing in her small paddock. I'm a bit worried but at the same time I have a feeling that it is the best thing to do right now....

What do you all think? WWYD - section off the field with rich grass and keep her by herself and give her a a bit of extra grass/space a day or just put her in with her friends? Any other ideas (I'm fairly limited with what else I can do because I need the farmer & YM ok and tbh I can't see much else I can do).

Last edited:
Could you try a bit of both? In with the ponies for 12 hours, on her own for the other time. Balance out how long she's on the lusher grass and give her some time to rest without the ponies about incase they decide to hoolie?

I would go for the second option. From the trot-up video you posted the other day I'd say there's still a fair way to go with the weight loss (sorry), so I don't think giving her access to rich grass, even in a very small area, would be a great idea. I also think it might be quite nice for her to have company again after the time she's been forced to spend on her own. You might find she is more settled with them.

Last edited:
Should say, she is stabled overnight with soaked hay currently so gets a rest from the grass and running around!

She does still need to lose weight. Unfortunately she seems to have stopped at 475kg on the weight tape and without being able to actually exercise her there isn't much else I can do. I'm trying so hard but getting absolutely nowhere and I have a feeling that will be the way things are going to be until the temp drops. I want her at about 430kg on the weight tape and a condition score 2.5, she is a 3 currently.

It is. Although I am worried that she will do herself more damage. I just cannot keep struggling with weightloss. She is getting a low cal feed balancer and her turmeric and superflex and for the clicker training she gets 1/2 a cup of SS Lucie Fibre nuts (so no high sugar treats). Her hay is soaked overnight. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else I can do and I had a bit of a breakdown when the farmer suggested the strip in the field with rich grass!

Second option because I would be drawn to interaction of company if she wanted a mutual groom etc, grass sounds better than the moving of the fence. You could though turn out in a muzzle if she would wear one if you went for the long grass option.
I have a weight issue currently and I have started a clip but I may take more off to aid weight loss. I am in a t shirt still, its just not cold. Our grass is still growing.

I have a muzzle but I don't think that would help a great deal as the grass isn't particularly long but just very rich as it is one of the fields the farmer uses for cattle at some points during the year.

I would have a go at the second option and a grazing muzzle if necessary.

I don't know why but I find if mine have muzzles on it also seems to quieten their behaviour, perhaps it makes them more pre occupied with trying to eat:giggle:

I think i would go for option 2 if it was me,i know your pain with weight i went through the same with mystique when she was retired but was allowed to walk out as much as i wanted but she then done her check ligaments,she was still turned out bandaged with a little welsh,she came in during the day and was out at night with a muzzle as the grass was rich,and her weight maintained at a healthy size.a muzzle really does help tbh i use them with malaika and wouldnt have been able to keep her weight down to a good level without this last year with not riding most of it.both vet and physio have said her weight has been great considering i couldnt exercise,she has come in during the day always does and goes out with the muzzle,i told them both i couldnt have done it without the muzzle,the clip will help when temos drop a bit too,your doing great and i know how hard it is but if it was me i would try the muzzle :)

Option two - bigger space so less tight turns (in theory!) she will be moving more to find food and she will have some company. I think you'll find the strip goes as quickly as the paddock probably with a few trips up and down when wey

I put her out with her friends this morning and put my face in my hands while she galloped up and down skidding about for 2min before settling to eat grass. I went off to muck out and came back just to check on her and she trotted up to the gate to see me (ARGH... just walk please horse!!!!)

I'll keep an eye on her weight but I'm loathe to put a muzzle on now that the grass is short and the bad weather is kicking in but if she doesn't lose any in the next week or so then I think I'll need to. The grass in this field is poor so I'm hoping that will help. I'll wait and see.

Cinnamon is very good to aid weight loss a few people I know have used it with great success. Once she is used to going out with her friends the excitement will wear off I'm sure.

I am trying cinnamon, getting her to eat it is another challenge when your not actually feeding.

I have just bought some cinnamon online and will add it to her feed balancer. Although she gets garlic and turmeric in it too so it might taste a bit nasty however she is back to eating everything and anything so hopefully she'll eat it!!!

I feel your pain about weight loss too, both for me and Bob! It is so tricky when you can't exercise to get the weight off.

I am sure you know this, but was having a chat with the vet the other day and he reminded me that the forage feed weight is 1.5 % of their ideal body weight NOT their current body weight, so Bob is to get 7.5 kg of soaked hay when he comes in, double netted to try to slow him down. I was feeding him waaay too much hay last year, and hoping that combining that with clipping and rain sheet will see the weight come off (am going to have to do second clip this week as his coat has grown back so quick he is sweating up really quickly again).

Good luck missus!

newrider.com