Rug rubbing horse's mane help

Skeeder

Oct 22, 2007
Hi I have an Andalusian who I want to keep his mane long etc but I also want him to stay warm as he doesn't have a thick winter coat.
What do you people do with horse's with long thick manes do you find the rugs with necks rub their manes also.
I had a weatherbeeta combo rug in the summer which didnt rub his mane but the horseware Rhino which has a detatchable neck seems to be doing the damage to his locks! The neck attatches by velcro could it be the velcro causing it :confused:

Hi,
I've got a QH and an arab, both with full manes.
I don't like nor use neck covers. Most detachable ones blow up, unless they are held with long velcro on the rug, but the long manes often poke out of the top anyways !

When it got very cold here a few years back (minus 13), I piled on a couple of heavyweight rugs (with standard necks) to keep mine extra toasty. (My QH has a summer coat all year round and he's a chilly billy !)

Bear in mind that a horse is usually warm under a big mane anyways so neck cover may not be necessary.

I've got a rug with an integrated neck which rubbed about an 6 inch wide chunk of mane out last winter - it was only long enough to match back in about 3 months ago!!!!

I haven't tried it yet, but i have had it suggested that you sew a piece of silk/satin material along the neck cover where the mane line is. Apparently this prevents the rub but i can't vouch for it myself!!!

Will have to invest in one with no neck then his long locks wont get ruined!:eek:

But just another "tip" - beware as the mane over the withers can get rubbed by certain rugs with sheepskin wither pad, or by rugs which have cotton linings ... I always prefer nylon-lined rugs where possible (WB orican range for QH or premier equine for arab) ;)

Hi! I have a part-bred Andalusian with a thick mane and when I got her she had a short patch on it from last years rugging and I want her to have a lovely full mane without breaks too!. I have used a standard neck Weatherbeeta M/W and an Amigo L/W and so far so good - no rubbing. I think the necks are cut just slightly different and as the weather has been so changeable she hasn't been in either for particularly long periods so maybe 2 different ones with slight changes of cut would be the answer and alternate them regularly to avoid rubbing in one spot. Those snuggy hoods sound a good idea too though - Good luck :)

Hi Skeeder!

My fella only ever has a rug with a neck on the very VERY nastiest of days, for exactly this reason. They just wreck the manes. I can't say that it's been a problem for him at all, although as you know he's bay not gray and therefore there aren't quite the same issues with getting filthy. Good to see you on NR!

Amigo rugs rub my Arab's mane which I'm trying to grow long :rolleyes:, still using them because they're good rugs mind, doesn't rub PBA's finer mane though :confused:.

Try these for stable rugs, brilliant company, cut back rugs for Arabs but suit most breeds, brilliant quality and their in the process of making turnouts.

http://cakeshorsewear.myshopify.com/

Their websites down atm, but pm if you want to contact the owner :D

newrider.com