Runny Nose

rusk

J.H.M.
My horse has a runny nose. The vet is coming out to check it as I phoned to tell him what was wrong. He didn't seem to be too concerned but said he would come and have a look if I thought it warranted it. The discharge is creamy and thickish and isn't quite so bad today. It's only coming out of one nostril. I have read through all my vets books to try to find out what it could be and the most obvious is an obstruction in the nostril or sinus trouble. Any ideas?

Don't worry, it'll probably be nothing serious. Horses do get a snotty nose occasionally. As long as there is no cough and no listlessness or temperature don't worry.

I wouldn't worry if i was you, my horse sometimes gets it, i now have come to the conclusion that she only gets it on a hot day and if i stable.

I spoke to the vet and he said don't let her have dusty hay and try to stable her out, so i have and she dosn't really get it only when it's a hot day.

Good luck but dont worry.

Hayley

Thought I'd let you know that my horse has an infection. I left it a few days as the vet wasn't worried but it wasn't clearing up and it was bothering him. She's given me antibiotics. None of the other horses are affected, which is strange.

nose still runny

He has been on antibiotics now for five days and still no real improvement, I'm starting to get worried. The discharge has a foul smell and no sooner is it cleaned than it's as bad again, now out of both nostrils. The vet is coming to see him again tomorrow, I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

it might be sinusitis. one of our school ponies had that a few years ago and the discharge smelled absolutely disgusting. we helped it (as well as the vet's medication) by feeding him tons of extra strong mints, which helped clear his head and get it all out. it was the vet's suggestion, and apparently it helps clear it up faster.

GUTTERAL POUCHES

Thanks for your concern, I must admit I am very worried now. The vet said today he will have to have the Gutteral Pouches flushed out. This is a from of sinusitis, I think. He has to go to the Veterinary College where the op will be carried out. He might even has to stay a while. I brought him home tonight to keep an eye on him and the gunge is just flowing down his nose, it's horrible, really smelly. He is definately not himself and is quiet and subdued. I thought it might be something to do with his teeth, but they are fine. He's on medication to make the stuff come out quicker so the vet said not to worry if it looks worse for a day or two. He can't go in for the op until they analyse the discharge, on the offchance it is something infectious. He will likely be scheduled to go beginning of next week.He's never been so far away from home before, it's roughly forty miles. I feel like an over protective mother and he's not away yet. I'll be glad when it's all over.

this sounds exactly like what rustler had. he was stinky for about a month, but recovered well and has had no further problems. try the mints - it does make a difference, and masks the smell a bit as well!

DIFFERENT VETS?

I wonder why your vet didn't get the op done? Maybe it wasn't quite so serious? It seems to have worked out ok. I hope they're doing the right thing for my horse. Sometimes you think it would be better to leave things to work themselves out. He goes on Thursday, assuming he's not infectious.

newrider.com