Saddle flaps v leg length

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Ok, you guys with normal leg lengths, and a dressage saddle...I need your observations please. Can you give me an idea where your saddle flaps end, in relation to your legs, please?? i.e, 2" below your knee, 3"?? More??

Sometimes when you have a disability you're hyper sensitive about things you do/wear/have etc...etc.... Other times it takes a long time for the penny to drop, for you to realise that you are actually doing things differently, and that isn't helped (in the nicest possible way) by people who are afraid of upsetting you, and won't tell you.

The other day I was in the company of a young lass who is a master saddler. I went to school with her. She watched me ride, and wondered why the Saddle Co hadn't made my saddle flaps any shorter. I protested, "but they did". She said....' maybe an oinch or so shorter, why didn't they make them about 2-3" shorter...your legs could take it. In fact it'd look better on you.' I said that the fitter had explained that the saddle would look ridiculous on Rubi if they made the flaps any shorter. Her observation was that a) you wouldn't be able to tell with me on board, b) People aren't surprised by what they see in terms of tack nowadays, when it comes to disabled riders....they know we're allowed modifications....but more significantly c) that I'd look no more ridiculous than I look now, with the flaps so long, and she was sure I would have better function with the saddle flaps a good bit shorter.

This isn't a thread about the Saddle Co, it's merely about the length of my saddle flaps. My flaps come down to my ankles, and even everso slightly below the top of the stirrup 'iron', on my short side.

I started looking at pictures of other riders. And the saddle flaps, on dressage saddles all seem to finish about 2-3" below the knee. I tried to imagine the feeling. It suddenly made me wonder whether that might be a reason why Rubi can't feel what I'm doing with my legs....or at least part of the reason anyway??? I know I ride short, but there's nothing much I can do about that I'm afraid.

Next time you ride, could you take a minute to estimate roughly where your saddle flaps finish, in relation to your knee for example. Thank you.

Here's a pic. Sorry it's a bit diddy, but this is my shorter leg of the two, in relation to the flap. I know it doesn't help that I'm wearing black jods, and that I have black boots and a black caged endurance stirrup, but you can just about make it out if you look carefully. Thanks for looking....or trying to, rather!!

Attachments

• Saddleflap.jpg
    Saddleflap.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Looking at the pics I think that Rubi could take shorter flaps too.

Here is a pic of Captain and I and I think he is a similar shape to Rubi...Im 5ft 2.

2008_0720_141536.jpg

Oooooh he's tasty N.N!!! Shiny clean tail too!! Can't see the feathers for the tail!!

Even at 5ft 2", your legs are considerably lower in relation to the saddle flap than mine are. I'm 5ft nothing.

Hmmm, thanks for that. Anyone else please??

I think you & your friend could have hit on a solution here, as surely you would "feel" better if the majority of your leg wasn't on the saddle flap. If I were you I'd be very keen to at least try it, only disadvantage of course would be the cost should it not work out:rolleyes:
Can't join in and upload a picture I'm afraid as I don't own one solitary photo of me with a horse even in the background:eek:

Ok done a survey while teaching, based on kids but principle is the same!

Small 9yo on 14.2 had about the same amount of leg below saddle as in your picture and although she managed I would consider the saddle too long for her to be really effective. For most riders saddle appeared to be from 1/4 to 1/2 way down the lower leg, ie much shorter than yours.

For interest I measured myself on my favourite saddle and on Hippo's Albion dressage, both come in the upper half of my calf muscle, probably about 2" below the top of my boots/gaiters .

Hope this helps

Well,well well....indeed that does eml. Are the flaps on your saddle standard length eml?? I ask because you're not so very much taller than I, are you??Though I guess your legs are longer. Oh deary me! I think I've been a bit slow here haven't I???? Not just a bit!...VERY slow.

Orbvalley.... I have been donated a 'cosmetically challenged' :)D) though functionally safe and sound synthetic saddle to play with, so we're going to have a little play, so the cost should be minimal to me, should it not be a success.

I can't believe that I've been so hung up on some things that I can't do like other riders can, that I've never even noticed that my saddle flaps are so hugely long by comparison with everyone one else's. I'm just going to fish out a picture of my riding from the other side first, to see how it looks from my long leg side. The picture at the beginning of this thread is of my shorter leg, which is about 4 1/2" shorter than the right.

I am actually 5'7" (not easy to judge when surrounded by teenage giants :D) but only have a 30" leg according to trouser size. Flaps are all normal!!

We often have worn out (in terms of fabric covering) Thorowgoods if you need any to play with.

if it's causing you a problem, i know you CAN get saddles where you can choose the length of flap you want......you may be best asking a saddler about it:).....only one i can think of of the top of my head is a thorowgood pony saddle, but not many adult's bum's would fit in them:p

here's one.....but i have no idea how much they are......it was just an example:)
http://www.selleriaequipe.it/fr/node/101

And my saddle is about half way down my calf.....its a treeless one, it doesn't have any flaps:D

Last edited:
Surely if you find the right length, the Saddle Company will be able to alter/replace your current flaps?

newrider.com