Saddle help please

Sandi_Mac

I love western riding!
Feb 3, 2005
Kent
Visit site
Ok this may turn out to be a bit long an I apologise in advance :) , my husband an I have a horse each we bought my husbands (novice rider) horse last summer hes a 16hh cobx, he came with a jumpin saddle which is fine but of late we felt it wasn't quite fitting right, my husband is also 6ft 4 so very tall but luckily thin with it. So saddler came an said that hubby needed a bigger seat and fit to horse wasn't good anymore as had changed shape.
SO we ended up with an 18inch international event saddle second hand, both test rode it an felt ok, fitted horse fine too, later on that day when got home had a shower an noticed a bruise forming on my right inside thigh just above the knee just thought to myself wonder how I did that, anyways saturday tacked up hubbys horse I climbed aboard an immediately was aware of pain in same place as bruise , took horse upto the school an within 10 minutes this pain got worse so stopped to investigate the saddle lifted the saddle flap an the point of tree protrudes out quite a lot an is a hard solid lump an this seemed to be causing the problem I have never had a problem like this before in all my years of riding. Rang saddler back today for advice really an he was a little bit shirty an said he didn't have clue what I was on about, an never in all his years had he heard of such a problem I managed to explain an then he said he knew what I meant ( didn't know at this time it was called point of tree researched further this afternoon!) expained it was catchin me one side an husband both thighs but higher up cos he taller!
He felt that we were both grippin up with our knees an this is why it was catching us, an that he had sold us a modern saddle for modern riding which required us to ride with our legs back an wrapped around the horse, he had no other saddle to fit my husband so we could either take it back to him for a full refund............or ride more with no stirrups to get hubbys leg back has anyone else ever had any trouble with a rather large protruding point of tree? Checked my mares saddle an she doesn't have a large bulge like hubbys saddle an showed a few people an they say as well they have never seen a large hard lump like that either under the saddle flap. Saddler has made me feel awful an that we shouldn't really be riding as we are both the wrong shape! I know that I have put on a bit of weight due to a back injury sept 2005 done 6 vertebraes in my back but have stayed determined to ride, i find it physically difficult to wrap my leg back an around, but me an my mare plod along together ok!
Oh jeez just realised have waffled on for ages so my saddle help question is has anyone else ever come across a protruding point of tree an is there anyway to make it more comfy as saddler doesn't have anything else for us!

sounds very odd to me? I have a working hunter saddle (and a back injury with same dificulties ;) ) so the front of the saddle is a lot straighter cut, but the point of the tree is no where near my leg? I would either get a second opinion of a different saddler, or go for the full refund and get a different saddler out, (to a point obviously) it doesnt really matter what shape or size you are? there are horses and saddles out there to accomodate just about anyone, you hang in there and good on you for keeping at the riding:D , I have found it very difficult with my confidence after my accident.

I was quite curious about this as occassionally I have a rider who feels uncomfortable in a saddle but normally that is the placing of the stirrup bar and the stirrup buckle rubbing.

The hard area you are referring to is the point pocket where the ends of the tree meet the leather of the panel, on most saddles it is well covered .

I have just had a look at a few of mine and indeed on our event saddles the points are quite prominent. However I cannot see on any of them how you could both get bruised legs unless you are riding so short that your legs are virtually off the front of the saddle.

I agree with Tots and Dots take it back and then try another saddler, perhaps looking for a more forward cut saddle more like the one you have

im not sure why he fitted an event saddle for a novice rider, it is going to put your legs in completely the wrong place, there basically designed for jumping.
you would be much better of as T n D said and look at getting a WH saddle which will put you in a much securer position, your legs will hang alot straighter as well again helping with balance.:)

newrider.com