saddle seat sizes?`

sheltiegroomer

Dec 30, 2007
Hi there
Just wondering ....there is quite a lot of controversy over what size saddle with regards to riding ponies... How much room do you all recommend there should be in the saddle behind your seat? I was always told a hands width...then a friend said 3 fingers width and another said more than a hands width?? Also anyone have a good way of measuring what size saddle seat size to look for without actually sitting in the saddle and measuring from there???

I have a little po but am 5ft 5 nearly and trying to figure the best seat size for us both!
All posts welcome...advice needed!!!! :):p:p:D

i think it depends how long you ride. the straighter your leg the less room you need IMO. i'm over 5ft7 and ride in a 17.5" saddle (which i find a bit big) and a 16" saddle (which i find smug). my ponies are 14.2

Ah yes one of the girls at the yard did suggest lengthening my stirrups a hole or two to make more room in the saddle! I will give that a go tomorrow... my 16.5 saddle has LOADS of room where as the 16" saddle feels quite small..but I have got my stirrups up a hole so will take them down as long as I can manage!!!
:)

it should fit both the horse and the rider.

It should be big enough for the riders bum and upper leg, and not so big that it fits as far back as the loins, putting pressure on the kidney area.

the thorowgood site explains it well from what I remember.

But it is always worth getting a saddle fitted by a qualified saddle fitter, for both you and your horses comfort :)

No i thought the size of the saddle was to do with the rider ie 16 inch was size 10 16 and half size 12 17 size 14, and the width was to do with the horse.
dont all shout at me if i am wrong thats what i was told!

No it is definately a combination of both but i would say primarily the horse than the rider.

Foe example i couldn't ride my pony in a saddle that was any bigger than 14inch otherwise it was too long for her back. I could have gone smaller, but my bum wouldn't allow for it!

With clay i was given the option of a 17 or a 17.5. The saddler said i could have either as both would be fine for him. Any larger wouldn't, and any smaller was also no good. I went with the 17inch as i only have a *reltively* small bum!

Definately agree that a professional saddle fitter should fit the saddle.

But for me, whatever saddle suited my horse best .. thats the one he will have.

i ride my 14.2hh hw cob in a wintec VSD 17.5"
it is abit big on the back
might want to try a 17" but my saddler said not to go too low as it desnt help the presure on the ponies back

newrider.com