Saddle Trees.

There's quite a lot of talk about getting the right tree to fit your horses etc' so I thought you would like to see all of the trees that a major wholesaler stocks, I would think (but don't quote me) a lot of the saddles made in the uk will be using trees from here.
What is interesting is that most of them have flat trees underneath which sits on the horse!!! a lot of the difference is on top around the cantle, head and twist area

Last edited:
I've seen the Kent and masters one in the flesh - I went to a saddle fitting demo and they showed you the many trees sitting on different horses. Some were a horrendous fit and some fitted like a glove - it just goes to show that you can't gauge it just on the width from d rings like some folk seem to think - saddle fitter said the d rings might just be where the maker decided to wack them on that day.

I am guessing the half tree is in the racing saddles.
I was looking at these-Tree-3.png
Tree-1.png Tree-2.png

These are Lovatt and Ricketts Saddle Seat trees. I spotted a Saddle Seat on EBay. Had to go off and have a nosey.

Reactions: poohsmate
it just goes to show that you can't gauge it just on the width from d rings like some folk seem to think - saddle fitter said the d rings might just be where the maker decided to wack them on that day.

I would measure the inside of the gullet and the saddle points.
I was in conversation with four people on eBay with a view to bidding on their saddles.
Two didn't know what I meant/where I meant to measure and one said it fitted most things! I haven't bid as they don't really know what they are selling.

Last edited:
Oooh - could you tell me the tree that the Black Country working hunter is on as opposed to the Hilton saddles.

Tobes doesn't stress at all about the Hilton saddle being plonked on his back, whereas he is antsi about the Black Country. But the Hilton rubs as much on the back as the Black Country??!

newrider.com