Saddles... A rant

ponylover88

Jul 12, 2004
bought a GFS cob saddle back in January when we got T. Fast forward to now, I don't feel like it's ever truly fitted her perfectly but as I've started jumping it's rocking from side to side and sliding up her shoulders.

Phoned saddler who seems to think that she has changed so drastically in 8 weeks it no longer fits ... She's coming back out to sell us yet another saddle, trading this one in. Is it wrong to wonder whether the saddle was fit for purpose back in January? I can't say I particularly trust her opinion anymore, but where do I go from here? The saddle has a hoop tree and still isn't flat enough.

We can't really afford another solution, however if we have to go down that route I guess T will be saddle less til I can find a suitable solution (another size 4 native GP). Obviously if this were to happen, there's no way she would give us as much as what the gfs is worth as a trade in or private sale but it's just too difficult to sell an expensive saddle privately now. It's only been used about a dozen times, she's not fit, nor been ridden enough to warrant sufficient decrease in price. It was BNWT when we bought it, from said saddler.

It shouldn't decrease in price that quickly with a few rides so she shouldn't be knocking more than £150 or so off the price of its in immaculate condition, marked then yes expect the price to drop drastically. I would query when she is out about the initial fit

When I got my new saddles (I got both dressage and jumping saddles), the saddler came out free of charge 8 weeks after my initial fitting to re-check the fit. She said that new saddles need some time to adjust to the horse. She had to add some flocking into the rear of my dressae saddle as it was moving slightly.

I would be very unhappy with the service you have received. Unless your horse has had a significant gain or loss of weight, I cannot see how the saddle is not suitable. I would cut my losses with this saddler and get someone else in. They can hopefully part exchange the saddle you have for something more suitable.

Last edited:
Surely she would pop out and recheck fit first before trying to sell you another.
Any saddle probably needs adjustment as it settles to your horse.

My lass has changed shape in two months, I have adjusted my pads as her work has changed.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but Ponylover I was just reading an old post of yours (from last year I think) it was just after you'd got your solution saddle....just wondering how you are getting on with it now? I'm thinking of buying one for my difficult to fit pony, just trying to get as much info on them as poss :)

There you go, demonstrated perfectly, "if something does not feel right, then it probably isn't"

Why do folk hand over complete control to a saddle fitter. If you feel it's not right, trust your own instincts, you are probably right

Do YOU think she has changed shape catastrophically in 8 weeks, like parents of children a good Dr will trust the parent's observations over their own if there is a doubt. You know the horse and her way of going better than anyone else and if you felt the saddle was not right then I bet it wasn't Trust your own judgement and tell them you think the saddle was a poor fit from the word go.

There you go, demonstrated perfectly, "if something does not feel right, then it probably isn't"

Why do folk hand over complete control to a saddle fitter. If you feel it's not right, trust your own instincts, you are probably right

Do YOU think she has changed shape catastrophically in 8 weeks, like parents of children a good Dr will trust the parent's observations over their own if there is a doubt. You know the horse and her way of going better than anyone else and if you felt the saddle was not right then I bet it wasn't Trust your own judgement and tell them you think the saddle was a poor fit from the word go.

I'm really at a loss now, tried an AH saddle given that as a native saddle, theoretically it should fit a native better... Apparently not. This was more unstable than the gfs, moving up her neck so far she stopped completely after one short trot.

Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but Ponylover I was just reading an old post of yours (from last year I think) it was just after you'd got your solution saddle....just wondering how you are getting on with it now? I'm thinking of buying one for my difficult to fit pony, just trying to get as much info on them as poss :)

As for the solution, I love it. I have a fitter who is fantastic and pops out to readjust as I feel required, and my horse loves it. In a treed saddle she was so tricky to fit, and sensitive that she'd bunny hop and do mini rears in discomfort. Not only does she stand stock still to mount, I never have behaviour problems, she's never bucked, reared etc since (not that she did before apart from the mini rears), I have taken her xc, sj (up to 1m), dressage, trec.

I just almost want a way out of treed saddle to sort out my pony, but I'm part owner with my mother who wants treed at more or less any cost. (Despite admitting my solution is comfy on my horse).

I feel your pain. Saddle fitting seems so easy for some horses but a nightmare for others. Out of interest have you tried your solution on T?

I brought a kent and masters jump after one lesson it did not feel right the saddler took it back.

I completely trust my saddler she came out this week to check the boys because I felt ginger was not quite right a full check on both no changes just call out.

some would adjust just to make money.

if it dis not feel right it's not simple

I brought a kent and masters jump after one lesson it did not feel right the saddler took it back.

I completely trust my saddler she came out this week to check the boys because I felt ginger was not quite right a full check on both no changes just call out.

some would adjust just to make money.

if it dis not feel right it's not simple

Sorry @pony lover 500 slightly off your topic but @OwnedbyChanter did you get another saddle,think you were going to try an ideal? Hope it all worked out to suit you both in the end.

Hi everyone, first time on this website and forum, hoping you can help - any recommendations of saddlers in the Cheshire area?

Update - today saw my solution fitter. She reshimmed D, then I hopped up onto T. My native is ok for her but she feels like an ansur konklusion or an old solution GP would be an even better fit. So now I'm off on the hunt for rocking horse unicorn poo... A size 4 (or equivalent) ansur konklusion or solution GP ...

Good luck. I really wanted an Ansur Konklusion as my RI loaned me hers to try on Raf and he went the best he's ever been in a saddle. My RI didn't like the newer Solutions as the gullet isn't as wide as the Konklusion but the Native has a wider gullet and as you know, that's what we got in the end. Intersting that it doesn't suit T as well as D. I tried other Solution saddles and they didn't suit Raf as well as the Native, so it seems that even though they are treeless and supposedly adaptable to fit the horse with the correct padding, they really don't suit every shape.

newrider.com