Scabs

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Completely random question but was just googling mud fever prevention after reading Caroline/Halle's thread and the site I was on advised to remove the scabs.

Which reminded me - I've noticed there seems to be a bit of an obsession in the horse world with picking scabs off - I've heard lots of people saying you should pick scabs off injuries etc.

Why? It isn't recommended for humans so I wondered why it is for horses? Don't the same risks apply, ie infection and scarring?

when my other horse had mud fever last year i didnt pick off the scabs and it cleared up, some people say you have to pick them to clean the bacteria out of the scabby bit, as they thrive as under the scab is warm? i think it is one of those opinion things but i would think that picking the scab lets more bacteria in

My vet told me that "mud fever and rain scald are the only times when you should remove the scabs. The bacteria make the scab like a little tent to live under". My book on horse health also suggests removal.

I know though that some NRers don't believe in removing the scabs. You should get a variety of opinions here!

I was told by one vet two weeks ago to hibiscrub Beths patch of mudfever and had 2 tubes of fudicerm. I did this and it made her sore and the skin seem dry and bled. My other vet ( I use several practices) has said not to hibiscrub, it strips the skin of everything, I just have to use conatraine from Tescos, NO PICKING.

Thanks folks. I'm going to get some of that udder cream it seems useful for lots of things. No sign of mud fever yet but at least I'll be prepared.

I know people who's horses have suffered a minor injury like a kick or a bump and their owners kept removing the scabs. Rafi has at the moment got quite a big one on the top of his head where he banged it but I'm loath to remove it - don't think he'd want me to anyway!

Interesting about Hibiscrub too - I'm sure it says on the bottle not to be used on broken skin (it is usually used for preparing an operation site prior to the incision isn't it?) but lots of people (including me) use it diluted to wash out wounds. Not sure that makes sense either!

I hate picking scabs - gross! I apply a liberal dose of MSM cream over every injury, reapplying whenever it's soaked in/washed off and never had a problem (plus if the scab-pickers can't see a scab cause it's hidden under a thick layer of cream, they can't pick it :ninja: )

I don't use hibiscrub since I found out one of mine had an acute reaction to it :frown: I now use betadine which is disinfectant, antifungal and affordable too !

I don't pick at scabs unless they're either falling off and need the finishing hand, or if there appears to be gunk or infection behind.

newrider.com