Scottish Endurance Pleasure Ride, Irvine Beach 14th September

Lucyad

Mar 30, 2006
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Just filling in my events diary for the rest of the summer.....would like to do this, but know NOTHING about endurance!

Is anyone from NR going?

My horse would be easily capable, but do I have to disguise him as an arab, covered in high viz. and strange coloured tack with lots of attachments? :eek::rolleyes::) Or can I just go along and have some fun?

Can you do it in pairs / groups?

I was planning on doing some endurance rides with one of the girls at my yard this year but don't think her horse will be fit enough so we're aiming to do one next year.:)

We had one near us recently - didn't take part as neddy too unfit at the time - looked like all sorts of horses taking part though! Would be quite nice if the folk who mark out the routes would remove their flappy bits of plastic from all the trees hedges and gates, etc once it's all over though... :rolleyes:

I've been to several endurance rides - high viz bibs are provided with your number on and are compulsory to wear but you just pick them up at the beginning of the ride.

Lots of people especially on the shorter rides are on all sorts of horses and ponies with their bog standard tack. No weird webbing tack required! :D I just ride in normal saddle/bridle.

You can ride in pairs/ small groups and this is often better if you haven't done any rides before, as the horses won't be as bothered by other riders passing them as they might be if you're on your own. I have always ridden in a pair/three.

Go for it - promise you won't be out of place and they are loads of fun :)

You are required to carry a small first aid kit with glucose tablets, space blanket, bandages etc (although I've never been at a ride where they checked this) in a bum bag and a medical card.

I would also take on your person a map case for putting in the directions of the ride, a digital watch/ stopwatch for checking the time as you ride and mobile phone. Route info will be posted to you in advance but you'll need to work out how long you have to complete the ride ( pleasure rides must be completed between 8-11 kph, often they will tell you max/min times on the sheet)

For the horse tack,travel gear, rug to put on after ride, container of water for washing down/drinking, hoof pick and grooming kit to make horse presentable for vet.
For you -drinks and snacks, warm clothing! :D

Entries usually go to the secretary of the branch of SERC that is holding the ride, info is all linked to at www.scottishendurance.com
Irvine beach is a Glasgow ride so entries to address here : http://www.scottishendurance.com/GLAS.html

Last edited:
guidance from the SERC peeps I know is that to get the timing you need to be able to pretty well trot (at a good pace) the whole way. Any extensive walking would need to be balanced by canter. So def naglet needs to be fitter than for a pleasure ride even of a slightly longer distance. (But not super toast rack fit, and def do-able for non Arabs, there were several Highlands at the one I stewarded at recently (Grampian)).

I had planned to start in july, but Im leaving it until October so pony is fitter. But shes not a googly Arab either, shes a Haflinger! And I dont have any groovy endurance tights, white bridle or funny stirrups!:D

We have been training by doing a couple of 2 hour rides a week at the above pace and then shorter normal hacks in between.

hope this helps!

I actually did this ride a few years ago. They were very nice to us - even though we must have looked like total numpties:). It took us hours as we went strolling along the beach - in a crowd of about 7. My friend, for some unknown reason, decided to loosen her girth at the end - and unfastened it completely!! She ended up on the deck:D.

The proper people did it in no time - they kept on passing us.

I'm up for it this year:)

Thanks everyone, sounds great! He is pretty fit, having just come back from a trail riding holday covering fair distances at a pretty fast pace. Glad the route is well marked though, because I have realised how awful I am at map reading! Will see you there, Skippysmum!!!

Do I really need a space blanket???:confused:

I have never took a space blanket tbh, and I am a member of Serc;) go on to their site it tells you pretty much everything you need to know:D have a shot at the pleasure rides its fantastic:D someone would be able to buddy you round no probs

Do I really need a space blanket???:confused:

Technically you need everything that's listed in the first aid kit, however I don't have one and they have never checked and don't think they will start now especially for pleasure rides ;) think it's a bit unnecessary myself - hopefully you'd never get that lost you'd have to use it!

(But not super toast rack fit, and def do-able for non Arabs, there were several Highlands at the one I stewarded at recently (Grampian)).

What does stewarding at an endurance event involve? I was thinking of trying it, partly because I think it would be fun, and partly because I have a goal to take my tubby Highland on one (although that date is away in the future!), and partly because I think it would be a good way to meet people and learn through watching others examples.

Okay, here's the definitive tack set up for a horse to do a beach ride with :D

SeaHorse_14.jpg

stewarding is really easy, they give you a map with an x marks the spot, a flourescent tabard, 2 road signs warning of horse riders and a clipboard and pen with all the peeps doing the rides that pass your point. Oh and we got some sarnies and juice and crisps! We just went to our points (by car) and stood nearby and ticked off the riders/horses as they passed. If any had any problems we phoned in (eg one lost a shoe just near us so we called in to get the farrier to come up). You stand so car drivers can see official in yellow gear, that plus the sign tends to slow them.

We were lucky though, up in the edge of the Cairngorms on a beautiful sunny day with the grouse chuckling at us from the heather, not very tough! Once all the peeps are through your point you can go back to the start and report in.

It was great fun, def recommend it. :D

newrider.com