sell my cob 5 stage vetting

shadowfax1967

Aug 29, 2008
south wales
hi all i am selling my daughters cob gelding and he is sold subject to vetting....i have no problem with him been vetted but i dont have the facilities which involves 5 stage vetting i have no menage and all my fields are sloping and cos of the wet weather very slippery so there is no way i am cantering him around there if he slips (which they are just walking around) he could hurt himself then i will be left with an injured horse....please give me you views:spin:

Have you got any stubble fields near by? Don't know what your local farmers would think but in Scotland we have right to roam (sensibly!).... Could you ask a nice farmer if you could go in?

we have fields but they are all fenced off with barbed wire and cattle and sheep in them you cant ride in any fields that belong to other farmers where i come from all fields have boundary fences with gates and chains

Perhaps offer a short trial before purchase, so he can get vetted wherever they take him?

This is probably a stupid idea for some reason

I think it could possibly put the potential purchaser of then if you cannot provide for the 5 star test sounds like your a bit stumped:unsure: not much you can do really form the sounds of it. Is there no horsey folk anywhere who you could beg plead and borrow to use the facilites? even if just a flat area of paddock

When friend wanted a vetting that included ridden they said to hire the venue, not the seller the buyer.
That was ten miles away and seller boxed to it.

The thing is part of a 5 stage vetting is fairly strenuous exercise so the vet can check breathing, heart-rate, recovery rate etc. It is one of the major components of a 5 stage vetting and if that is what they buyers have requested then I can't imagine them changing their mind although I'm sure any potential owner and knowledgeable vet wouldn't let him be cantered round a slippy field either.

Why not phone the buyers and their vet/your vet and tell them the situation and see if they could come up with any advice or suggestions. If the buyers really want the 5 stage done then maybe they'd be willing to pay at least a bit towards transport to somewhere suitable? Have you got any friends who could help you out? Hows the weather looking, is there any chance the ground may dry out enough?

If I were the buyer, I would box the horse and pay to hire a local arena for the vetting. If the horse passed I would take him home with me there and then, and if he failed he would return home with you.

I'd just be careful how you voice your concern, make sure you stress that you are really happy to have it happen if you all can come up with a possible mutually suitable solution eg boxing him to a school.
Otherwise the buyer might question if you've got something to hide by appearing to make things seem more difficult.

I'd just be careful how you voice your concern, make sure you stress that you are really happy to have it happen if you all can come up with a possible mutually suitable solution eg boxing him to a school.
Otherwise the buyer might question if you've got something to hide by appearing to make things seem more difficult.

^that. But I definitely think you should speak to them about it

Surely there must be a venue somewhere you can box to? I live rural and i could think of 5 within a 20mile radius.

If I was a buyer I would be put off that the seller wouldnt box the horse somewhere for the vetting to take place if no onsite facilities.

Surely there must be a venue somewhere you can box to? I live rural and i could think of 5 within a 20mile radius.

If I was a buyer I would be put off that the seller wouldnt box the horse somewhere for the vetting to take place if no onsite facilities.

I think I'd be put off if the owner wouldn't allow it, I wouldn't be put off that the seller wouldn't do it themselves - not everyone has access to or can drive a horsebox or trailer. I also don't think that the current owner should be responsible for any of the costs involved in the vetting, it'd be nice if they offered some help but if you want the horse and you want it vetted then that is your choice at the end of the day. If either party has transport or has a friend who would help out I think the easiest way to do it would be to travel the horse to somewhere with suitable facilities.

I think I'd be put off if the owner wouldn't allow it, I wouldn't be put off that the seller wouldn't do it themselves - not everyone has access to or can drive a horsebox or trailer. I also don't think that the current owner should be responsible for any of the costs involved in the vetting, it'd be nice if they offered some help but if you want the horse and you want it vetted then that is your choice at the end of the day. If either party has transport or has a friend who would help out I think the easiest way to do it would be to travel the horse to somewhere with suitable facilities.

If you want to sell a horse and you dont have facilities you must be prepared to source some and possibley incur the costs.

A friend who sold her horses due to emigrating was in the same boat (no facilities) and for viewings she hired out an arena for the tryers to try the horses for vettings she boxed the horses there and the buyer paid for the school hire :smile:

Could OP not do that? If she has transport then box the horses or if not transport but buyer does then she pays for arena hire and buyer boxes?

I think I'd be persevering with speaking to some local farmers and see if you can't arrange somewhere in a field nearby. There MUST be some little bit of open land somewhere that you could use?

hm if the buyer is this adamant they want a 5 stage when they have seen where the horse lives and must know there isnt the facilities to do this, can't they trailer him somewhere to do this? to buy a horse from a field this time of year and expecting facilities for a 5 stage seems quite errr optimistic?

when i was looking to buy, very few places i visited had remotely the facilities to do a 5 stage vetting, in fact i bought molly from a yard she had been moved to specifically so that they had a school and hacking and stuff like that.

newrider.com