Sensitive eye in the summer

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
Bixby was always prone to tearing in the Summer, especially on her left side. If she wears her fly mask throughout the day it's okay but if I forget then it can get pretty bad.
I am not sure if it is the sun or the flies? Although flies really LOVE Bixby. The other horses may just have a few flies around them while Bixby is being eaten alive by them. Not sure why?

Does anybody know why she might have such sensitive eyes?

Last edited:
It could be due to pollen or just too much sunlight (my eyes run if it's really sunny and I squint a lot).

Bebe's are quite runny at the moment but the flies aren't yet out in force so I'm not entirely sure I can blame them. I'm just cleaning them with wet cotton wool at the moment, seems to help though Bebe doesn't fully appreciate it.

we have 2 school ponies (out of 70ish ponies altogether on the yard) who really suffer with runny eyes in summer too - we assume it is flies and just make sure to have fly hats on as much as possible and keep on top of wiping the gunk away so flies aren't any more attracted than we can help.

Phoenix used to really suffer alot with runny eyes, which occasionally would progress to infection like pink eye (conjuntivitis) my vet suggested getting some Brolene (mild antibiotic eye drops from the chemist) and that seemed to almost always clear up the weeping and stave off any infection.
I can find out the active ingrediant if it would help?
I also found a full face mask (one that fits really well and filters UV) helped lots.

newrider.com