serious dilema, can NH help??

Just to say - for a little perspective, my usually calm, safe, lovely horse turns into a complete and utter nutter who I'm tbh scared to ride with insufficient exercise and/or turnout. Sane on 24/7 turnout, and sane when turned out 8-12 hours + regular fast exercise, but quite crazy if either no fast exercise but still turnout or no turnout but still exercise. And she has NOT had any bad experiences, she's just highly strung!!

Also, horses with issues (got one of those too!) often bond strongly to their owner as they see them as 'safe'. If your horse is seeing you less than he used to, he will start to act up more as you're not reinforcing your relationship constantly and he's being left in the care of people he obviously doesn't trust if he's become head-shy.

Regarding the person who showed him - I too would say get in touch. Bet you could get some good advice there. If possible meet them too. Some people are naturally more assertive/unflappable and they make scaredy horses feel safe by their strong leadership.

My thoughts would be, in no specific order:

(a) 24/7 turnout, shoes off, poor-ish grazing, in a mixed herd situation
(b) let him chill in the herd for at least 6 months - no ridden work; maybe just take him for occasional moochy walks when it's a hot, lazy sort of day
(c) full vet checks including eyesight, kissing spine and pelvic problems

If all is clear, bring him back slowly into work, starting right from the beginning and missing out NO step, however insignificant it may seem or however sure you may be that he 'already knows it'.

IOW give yourself a year with him before you make any decisions. It could be a turning point for him, and will certainly be a learning and development process for you.

One thing, though - you MUST let go of the expectations of OTHER people with regards to the pair of you.

I would totally agree with this too. I can't believe the difference turning a horse away for a while and just letting them be makes. Mine had a poor start in a riding school at far too young an age. I am constantly berrated by "experienced" people that he needs "work" constantly to turn him into anything like a suitable horse. Sometimes I haven't been able to help but listen to it and have found myself in situations where deep down I knew I shouldn't have allowed myself or my horse to get into. However, I have learned from my mistakes and am finding that over the past year I have got to know my horse really well and that if I ask for advice when I need it and then follow MY gut instincts then I am not going far wrong.

My horse has been 90% turned away for the last 7 months, just the odd bit of groundwork or pootle about, once even bareback! I am now at the point where I have arranged for a professional to come and help me and give me some advice on furthering his education. If I like what this trainer has to say and how they work then we will work together, if not I will find somebody else.

I have had so many people telling me to "work" this horse he "needs" it over the past year it's untrue - and guess what - he only turns 4 at the end of the month! :rolleyes:

Don't give into pressures from others, if you know and love this beastie, go with your gut instincts. :)

My advice is probably about as much use as a chocolate fireguard! :eek:

I would argue one point with Frances, she has forgotten to add the large G&T to go with the pringles and the good book.

Otherwise I agree 100%, spend the money on that.

newrider.com