Shall we have a chat about climate change.

Not seen it yet but heard about it and planning to watch it on catch up tomorrow night, I’m really interested to see it

Reactions: MrA
Did anyone else see extinction? Is anyone else as scared as I am that weve lost 50% of insects!!!

I'm not surprised actually. I don't see as many insects as I used to and that's not just geographical either.
Oh and btw, I was thinking about this thread just now whilst sweeping outside the byre!

Not sure i saw it but some snippet i watched recently said 75% less insects.

Im wondering if there back on climate change and brexit to distract us away from covid.

I don't really think climate change and the state of the world gets anywhere enough media coverage to be honest. Out of 8.7 million species at least 1 million are at risk of extinction. How many do we need to lose before we are also on that list. Everything is interlinked and balanced, we lose something then everything else is affected.

Without insects food production would be dire. Without the creatures in the soil we have nothing to grow it in anyway.

One of the professor's had the right outlook. We either take as much as we can for a short period of time, and then it runs out. Or we take a smaller amount, and have a sustainable resource indefinitely.

Is it that we've lost them because we've killed them off, or, because of changes and they haven't evolved?

We used to have the Mammoth but they died out and we didn't touch them. Humans get blamed for things that I am not saying we aren't responsible for, but, we aren't always to blame. It's easy to point the finger at us.

My field has nice amount of grasshoppers, including weird black bum ones, butterflies, beetles, daddylong legs, bees, ants etc. There is a stunning dragon fly up the road.

It's a combination of those things. Apparently the number one reason for extinction at the moment is habitat loss, but there are lots of contributing factors. Species can only evolve to survive if the changes are gradual yet we are changing everything so quickly.

The mammoths, although no one knows for certain, they believe was a combination of hunting and the end of an ice age. A small pocket lived for 6,000 further years but they became so inbred they could no longer survive. Species will become extinct yes, but I think it's the rate at which they are that is alarming. Because the ecosystem won't stay stable with so many lost.

There have been a number of mass extinction events before, excluding the dinosaur one which I believe was more rapid they took a long time, one covered a period of 60,000 years. To put it more into perspective of what we are doing at the current rate we could approach the level of a mass extinction in 240 to 540 years.

And the world restarts.

I have half a dead tree, the half that is dead is being used by nature and wildlife. So my point is, nothing actually dies it regrows.
I know we are changing things at an alarming rate, but if people complain they can't go on holiday abroad during a pandemic, we stand no chance of encouraging enough change.
It's important, but where I am at the moment we had the opportunity, the biggest ever opportunity to change as a nation in lockdown. If we can't do it then, sorry but we are a lost cause.

I am noticing though that businesses are using cardboard boxes and not plastic. However cardboard is cutting down trees. I recycle boxes.

I remember many years ago (back in the day I had a telly lol) seeing a program about matter and how it couldn't be destroyed. So I guess wildlife and nature doesn't really go anywhere. It just gets recycled / regenerated. You can't destroy matter it always goes on somewhere else. It was in conjunction with the great god debate. Neither concluded as I remember - I guess they can't because they don't know the answer! @newforest that made me waffle a bit your comment above about the world restarting. And things re growing.

I think the other thing that is amazing / interesting is that all the things that humans pollute with come from the earth in the first place. We aren't magicians and everything has to already be here. Unless there is life on Mars and it gets beamed down of course......................... :D :eek: :p??

They have found bacteria on Venus haven't they.
If something is manmade, the materials had to be naturally found in the beginning.
Nothing in nature is wasted and I think this is where we fall down big time.
There was a great documentary on about landfill and how they were thinking it's wrong to take food waste out of our rubbish. Yes you can compost, but there is bacteria in that needed to break down other things.
In fact they found things they didn't have names for!

I remember many years ago (back in the day I had a telly lol) seeing a program about matter and how it couldn't be destroyed. So I guess wildlife and nature doesn't really go anywhere. It just gets recycled / regenerated. You can't destroy matter it always goes on somewhere else. It was in conjunction with the great god debate. Neither concluded as I remember - I guess they can't because they don't know the answer! @newforest that made me waffle a bit your comment above about the world restarting. And things re growing.

I think the other thing that is amazing / interesting is that all the things that humans pollute with come from the earth in the first place. We aren't magicians and everything has to already be here. Unless there is life on Mars and it gets beamed down of course......................... :D :eek: :p??
A very interesting way of looking at it, I've never really thought about the whole matter being constant thing, but of course it's true. I suppose the matter gets locked into not very useful forms, which is why we don't see an increase in species as others die out. Perhaps in billions of years there would be a time period of great species birth if all the resources suddenly became viable again.

Again very true and very interesting. I suppose by changing them we take away nature's ability to break them down.

Reactions: Trewsers
Perhaps humans will be the eventual cause of loss of life on the entire planet. Wouldn't that be a legacy to leave ?
I’d like to think we’d die out before that happened, so the natural world could take back the planet somehow.

I just watched the program, it’s so infuriating, that so little is being done when it seems so obvious that our actions have such a huge impact. I think world agreed legislation is going to be the only way to do it, or at least for many 1st world countries to start refusing to import non sustainable goods as they suggested.

Ive been conscious of some things I buy but soy is now going on my to be avoided if at all possible list. I’ll need to check the neds feeds to see if I need to change them.

My knowledge of science. Trust me it's basic. The earth is made up of, what the earth is made up of, if it wasn't we would collapse in on ourselves.
So it's there.
We come along and discover it, remove it, realise if you mix it with something else it's got a purpose.
However what we make doesn't break down unlike the earth in a natural state. ( take a look at abandoned engineering) the ate hundreds of things we've made that are still there.
But, nature will use it. All the ships at the bottom of the ocean will be home to some life form.
There are unknown species out there.

My knowledge of science. Trust me it's basic. The earth is made up of, what the earth is made up of, if it wasn't we would collapse in on ourselves.
So it's there.
We come along and discover it, remove it, realise if you mix it with something else it's got a purpose.
However what we make doesn't break down unlike the earth in a natural state. ( take a look at abandoned engineering) the ate hundreds of things we've made that are still there.
But, nature will use it. All the ships at the bottom of the ocean will be home to some life form.
There are unknown species out there.
I do see what you are saying, nature finds a way but we are making that harder and harder. An argument against what you are saying is plastic. Nature can't find a way to use that. Instead it kills thousands of species.

Reactions: Jessey
I do see what you are saying, nature finds a way but we are making that harder and harder. An argument against what you are saying is plastic. Nature can't find a way to use that. Instead it kills thousands of species.
Yes I said what we make doesn't break down. And that's the issue. The current one is disposable masks. Plastic is made from natural materials, but together those materials won't break down.
To remove plastic, you need to go back to glass, find an alternative, or discontinue the product.
I have said before there is to much choice in the supermarket, we don't need to import it all, but do we, next to nobody grows their own anymore.
The changes start with import and aviation, huge corporations.

Is this part of your course? There won't be a right or wrong answer. But an interesting subject.

Yes, we are doing a conservation module and also science communication. Rightly or wrongly, depending on your views we are being taught that climate change is very much influenced by humans. Not to say the earth wouldn't be warming anyway but we are increasing the rate at which it is happening. And we are also going quite a way to destroy life in ways that have never been seen in human lifetime before. It's based on scientific research and I'm glad we are being taught it, a real eye opener.

I was pleased to see in Tesco they've started supplying paper bags for veg instead of plastic.
Like in the old days. :) nothing was pre packed was it. And you weighed it and labeled it yourself.

Though with the virus I haven't bought anything not pre packed!

Reactions: Huggy
Yes thats ok as long as they have paper bags to put stuff in. They had non in morrisons on sunday when i went. What was i supposed to do with loose veg. I did notice that there normal loose bananas were all prepacked this week in polythene bags ironically.

newrider.com